HD clicking heads constantly parking-SSD the cure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ejosepha, Oct 31, 2009.

1. ejosepha macrumors 6502

I have the famous--I think--clicking of the HD heads clicking every 10 seconds or so, depending what I do. I believe this is the problem others have described as the heads either parking or re-engaging. I know that an SSD doesn't have moving parts. My question is: Is it possible that this clicking is a different problem. Graphic card driver, or other mechanism within the system. This very light noise that clicks on and off, and disappears when you work constantly within an application, seems to be the one described in multiple forums. I tried the hdapm program, it loads but doesn't work on my Fujitsu 250 GB 5400 HD. I am ready to buy an SSD, but I don't want to do it and discover the problem was something else. I am certainly no expert.
    The clicking isn't loud or cracking, but it seems to conform to the definition of mice playing ping pong within the system.
    Any ideas?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Lulz I cannot fathom how anything related to the GPU could make noise :D

The only things that'll make noise in your machine are the hard drive, fans and cd drive. You'd know if it was the cd drive, its kinda noisy but only happens when you put in a disk. The fans won't click unless the bearings are starting to mess up, and you'd be able to distinguish that too; so it's more than likely the hard drive.

Yes, an SSD will fix this issue. Course make sure you opt for a premium SSD as the cheapy ones won't click but they'll certianly stutter (in the OS)

3. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

Thinking about Corsair Performance 128GB SSD?

I have tried to do some research and it seems that this SSD drive is compatible with MPB and has rather good reviews. Any thoughts?
    Secondly, is this parking and clicking, though not real loud, a well known issue with the MBP? A number of people have referred to it, and the hdapm software is supposed to overide the OS settings, but didn't work for me.

4. vant macrumors 65816

Intel drives are notoriously the best.

5. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

Intel x25m g2 firmware issues?

I have read that the newest ssd from intel has had some firmware updating issues. Also, I am in France and though I can probably find Intel ssds here, I looked into it and Corsair (which are Samsung), especially the Performance series, seems to have no compatibility issues with Mac OS, and aren't a bad choice either. Is there something you know about Corsair that I should stay away from?

6. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Inductor coils and capacitors can both make noise under heavy load, and the GPU had both these items are associated with a GPU.

So lulz back at ya! ;)

7. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

This clicking is under no load or just on start up.

This regular sounding back and forth type clicking starts whether the computer is idling or just opening simple applications, or stopping for a moment, when the click or I presume parking of heads occurs, within seconds, and then a click when I choose or open a program or click on links, etc.

8. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I get clicking with my WD 500GB Blue.

It was annoying when I first got it (last week), but I got over it.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Can I get a video/sound file of this? I, quite frankly, would be rather frightened if my GPU Cores started making noises.

10. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

Is trhe clicking on your Seagate every 5-10 seconds?

The clicking of the HD, I think it's the HD, is not the loud type of clicking of the HD really spinning down, I don't think. It's more of a slight click when the drive is idle for more than 5 or 10 seconds, and then another slight click when I tap and choose an application or link, and it reactivates. I hear from time to time the hard drive really sounding as if it is switching gears, so to speak. That sound I know. This is more of a slight click, (mice playing ping pong as it has been described on other forums) that I am referring to. The HD passes all test and works fine. Watching video, doing basic work, no problem. It just the moment you stop working, a click, start working, a click.

It would be impossible to record this. Too subtle. But in a quiet room over time, disturbing.