HD Clogged by Duplicate Songs..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illest813, Dec 1, 2007.

1. illest813 macrumors member

Hey everybody - my music folder is like 60GB, although only 14GB of it is legit songs. In itunes, it only says 600 songs are duplicates, which does not make up for that difference. Does anybody know a program that can go through a folder and just find the duplicates and delete them? Im not sure how it happened, i think i backed the folders up on a hard drive and then copied them back in, idk...its really killing me-i dont mind if i have to pay like 20$ as long as it fixes the problem. Anyway if anyone can help me that would be appreciated very much!

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

Why not just empty your whole library (not delete it mind) and then re-import it all. Then run the show duplicates

3. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Just go into iTunes and go to view>show duplicates

then just spend the time deleting the dupes

4. illest813 thread starter macrumors member

I tried doing that, and then when it was reloading it said there was not enough room on the HD to copy all the files (doesnt make sense, but w/e)

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

Go into the iTunes Preferences, and under the Advanced Tab, tell it not to copy the music files. Now try re-importing.

6. illest813 thread starter macrumors member

to delete all the songs it will take at least 10 days straight..there is no duplicate mp3 killer software for mac ? somebody please help this is terrible

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

OP, why don't you delete all of your music in iTunes and your music and reimport it all using senuti? Unless all of the dupes are on your iPod as well.

8. GregE macrumors 6502

Are the songs on the iPod exactly the same as those on a hard drive? I didn't know if iTunes did something to the files when it downloaded them to the iPod.

I have a new iMac and was thinking of using Senuti to get my songs onto my iMac instead of trying to get them from my Windows PC but if there is a difference in the files, then I would figure out how to get them off the hard drive.

That make sense?

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

iTunes doesn't re-encode the files or anything when you put them on the iPod, so the files on teh iPod are identical to what was on your hard drive (assuming you had your entire library on the ipod) Just remember that if you are going to stop using the Windows box, de-authorize your iTunes account from it (in case you have any purchased music)

10. GregE macrumors 6502

Thanks TheStu!!!