HD cloning question...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by RedCroissant, Jun 24, 2012.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

I am getting the HDD on my iMac replaced and I need help making a decision. I am replacing the existing and standard 320GB HDD with a 3TB HDD. My two options are:

1. Get it replaced at the Orchard an pay $95 total for the replacement(which includes cloning of the original drive) but wait about 4-5 days for my computer to be finished.

2. Get the BestBuy Geek Squad to do the replacement for $50 and have it done the same day, but then do the OS reinstall myself.

I would like to clone my original drive so that I don't have to deal with installing snow leopard and then Lion after that, but what is involved in the process and would I need an enclosure for the original drive?

If I can easily do it myself, then I think I would prefer that, because I don't want to pay the GeekSquad the extra $130 for the OS install.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your existing drive to an external (in an enclosure), then simply swap the drives and boot up. Your old drive is now usable as an external drive for backups or additional storage.

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

This will only clone the space that the current OS install along with all my other files take up right?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct, including all your apps. It can also clone the Lion Recovery Partition.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You didn't say what iMac you have; some are much more difficult to open up and work on than others. Do you mean you're considering putting the new drive in, or just asking about the drive copying?

I'd be tempted to buy the 3 TB and clone it yourself to either an external or with a cable (there are some cables for just bare drives out there). The external case would be best if you intend to use the drive that way in the future. Then take the iMac and the bare 3TB to whoever is doing the swap for you, but don't pay 'em for installing anything but the hardware.

Come home and clone back from the old drive, which you've put in the external case. It also has the benefit that no dweeb in a store will have to access your stuff.

Rob

6. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

That's what I've decided to do. There's a device at BestBuy that is a bare drive dock that connects via usb. I just hope they will accept a return of that time once I'm finished with it; but I doubt it.