HD compatible with uMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mazkar, Nov 6, 2009.

1. mazkar macrumors newbie

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Haven't got one of these myself but have seen other people on this forum post that they have them in their MBPs, so yeah will be fine in yours.

3. mazkar thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome thanks! will the 7200rpm be quite noisy?

4. Mr Dobey macrumors 6502

fyi

HD = High Definition

HDD = Hard Disk Drive (spinning platter)

SSD = Solid State Disk Hard Drive

Just saying because I thought this may be a Hi Def post.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

You may want to get the one without the G-Force shock protection as MacBooks have that built into the OS and the G-Force may cause issues. Plus you'll usually find the non G-Force versions go for a few dollars cheaper. I have a 7200 rpm 320GB Seagate drive in my alu MB and I haven't noticed considerable noise or vibration. And it's been as reliable as all heck. It all depends on how sensitive you are to the sound I suppose.

Oh, and just another suggestion, make a backup using Time Machine and do a full install of (Snow) Leopard and restore from TM. I found this works better than cloning the drive.

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

It's the exact drive that came in my MBP.

7. talbalos macrumors newbie

From what I understand the model number ending in ASG (ST9500420ASG) has a motion sensor that can cause issues with the uMBP's own motion sensor. I retrofitted my uMBP with an ST9500420AS model drive last month and I have had no operational, noise or temperature issues.

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

The ASG model is what Apple uses, and it came in my uMBP. I have no issues with the motion sensor.