HD Config for new mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by peejack, Jan 9, 2008.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

Sorry to start a new topic on this but im just after some advice.

I just received the new macpro and it have it's default config of the 320gb 8mb cache drive.

Would this drive be suitable for applications like logic pro? I do mainly audio work. I have ordered another 500GB 16mb cache hd for storage but I wondered whether i should grab a smaller 16mb cache drive for my main boot os and apps drive?

Would the jump from 8mb to 16mb be worth it? Or should I use a Western Digital 10K 32GB drive for apps and os, or neither and stick with the 320gb 8mb cache drive?

Would appreciate your advice.

Thanks

2. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

I personally would start to forget about the WD raptor derivates. The speed difference between them and new 1TB disk (Hitachi/Samsung?) are about non existant theese days and the price difference aint that big either..

You could use the 320Mb disks as your boot/program disk and then get a 1TB drive for your media and then another 1TB disk for boot disk+media backup,if your budget allows.

If not, then get 2x500 GB disks with the forementioned setup.

You wont get any additional benefits of raptors because audio work are not that taxing on your HDDs, so you would get by with 500 just fine.

Unless you are running some 128 track orchestrations or stuff?

3. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that ill make do with the 2 drives for now :)