HD Content for new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bunger, Aug 17, 2007.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

This may not be the proper forum, but it is related to my gorgeous new 24" iMac! :)

I have already gone through all of the short clips in the Apple QuickTime HD gallery and was wondering if anyone could recommend some additional sources for HD content (either free or very cheap, but not pirated/illegal stuff). Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

tia,
    B

ps - this 24", 2.8 iMac is simply incredible!

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

The only other free/cheap HD content would be broadcast HDTV. You would have to buy an EyeTV though.

3. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup.. I am already on that. Received the EyeTV hybrid yesterday, but the signal isn't the greatest at certain times of the day.

I am sure there are other websites out there that contain HD content though....

tia,
    B

4. SolrFlare macrumors regular

Get an Xbox 360 HD-DVD player. Seriously. Once Leopard comes out, all you'll have to do is plug the bugger into an open USB slot and there you go, HD-DVD playback on your Mac.

OSX(tiger) already natively recognizes the drive. It just lacks the HD-DVD software playback capability that is present in Leopard.

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

there are a lot of independent movie 'shorts' especially cg ones that are downloadadble

6. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Is this true or only speculation? If true thats pretty bad ass considering I already have one! I hope that it works!!!

7. SolrFlare macrumors regular

Give me one second and I'll confirm or deny for you :D

8. urbanski macrumors newbie

urbanski

if its gonna work with a 360, will it work with a ps3 too? :confused:

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I own one and use it under Boot Camp. I've heard rumours that Leopard will support it natively but have never seen anyone actually confirm it.

10. SolrFlare macrumors regular

Update on my 360 HD-DVD player test.

No to the playback as of yet although apple has stated it will support HD-DVD and blu-ray playback in leopard. It does, however, recognize the drive and the disks put in it perfectly(you can see all the files on the disk as well. It just doesn't have the ability to play the files yet.

That said, I fired up bootcamp and used software available for vista to play back from there perfectly. So, boot camp is definitely an option that works right now.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You got it working under Vista? Which software did you use? I have PowerDVD 7 and it refuses to play (works in XP though).

12. PAC2007 macrumors member

I'm sure QuickTime has some options for HD Playback under its preferences? Anyway, wont VLC play it for you? Plays everything else :p

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Try some of these ...

www.mariposahd.tv

iTunes Store Podcasts. They have many HD podcasts for free. Some are actually pretty good. Just a warning though, not all are HD ... some are widescreen SD.

Also, check out It's Jerrytime podcast (available at iTunes Store). It's not HD, but it's hilarious!

ABC.com has an "HD" player for their more popular shows.

ft

14. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

ftaok - that is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for! thanks!!

B

15. blueicedj macrumors 6502

no. The PS3's blueray player is in the PS3...the Xbox 360 HD DVD player is an attachment.
    The only problem I'd see with buying the HD-DVD player is that right now blueray is looking like it will be the winner. Just wait till the format war is over...then get your product. Don't be one of those suckers who bought a betamax from Sony...