HD Crash...Recover music off iPod?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eminemdrdre00, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

My sisters PC laptop's hardrive crashed last weekend. She lost 1000's of songs, but they are all on her iPod still. Whats the best Windows solution to get these songs off the iPod and onto a new HD? I do have an iMac, so if theres an easier Mac solution, I'd love to hear about that too. Will there be an issue copying over the music she purchased from the iTunes store? And I realize this has probably been asked a million times, so I apologize. A quick google search brought up 5 year old results though. Thanks!

2. lang679 macrumors newbie

Well, I'm not sure about getting the files from the iPod to the computer. I think there IS a way, but I don't know it.

But I know that if you CAN manage to do it, then the iTunes store-bought files shouldn't be a problem in terms of moving them. However, you will probably need to know her iTunes Store account username and password to actually play them. (Which, hopefully, you have.)

Hope that helps a little.... I hope someone else knows more about this than I do and can help you with the rest...

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If your sister is using a Mac then get Senuti. It is effortless to get the music from the iPod to the Mac. Really great program.
    The iTunes store bought music can be downloaded again.

4. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Shes coming home from school this weekend. Shes on a PC laptop, but I do have a mac, so I will give that program a try. I lent her my old PC laptop to use, while we wait for HP to replace the HD (its still under warranty).

I also shouldve mentioned I'm looking for a free solution. Will Senuti's free trial recover all songs, or just a limited amount?

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Simply use Folder Options to show hidden/system files, then you will find some hidden folders on the iPod. One of which is called music (it may be inside of another folder) then there will be a series of folders, each with some of the music inside of it. Simply import those files/folders into iTunes and the music will be back, but some of it may need to named by hand, depending on the model of iPod. However, if this is an iPod touch, you will need to search for a utility to get the music with, since there is no HD access on the iPod touch. As for the Purchased Music, plugging in the iPod, then selecting from the File Menu, transfer purchases from "iPod Name", should do it.

TEG

6. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Thanks a lot! Its the "video iPod" (not the Classic, the one before that I guess). Renaming all the songs by hand would be a real pain, but thanks for the suggestion about the purchased music.

7. odej98 macrumors member

Not using a specialized program can retrieve undesired results. The filename system that ipod uses to store the songs is not what you and I would call useful to discern between, however the data is still there in it's useful playable form.
    Sharepod by red chair software is very effective at retrieving your music on a PC.
    The sync function with itunes is a well-intentioned feature, but you have obviously discovered the down side to it. If your settings on itunes is to auto-sync, you run a real risk of losing data. Try recovering on a pc without itunes installed to save data or just simply turn off the auto sync.

8. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong