Hd damaged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cindyjj, Jan 18, 2016.

1. cindyjj macrumors regular

ive been trying to reinstall OS X and received the message hd damaged and cannot be repaired. Not sure what to do from here. A problem with the sound initiated wanting to try the reinstall. Do I definitely need a new hd? Late 2011 MacBook Pro.
    Should I download OS X from Diskmaker or is this possible Or is having it in the App Store sufficient?
    If I do need a new hd how do I do everything with the new hd and enclosure?
    I did a time machine backup so have all that

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. Even is you can repair it with Disk Utilities, I would not trust that drive. Just install the drive, then option key boot to the Time Machine disk. You will see a recovery screen. From there use Disk Utility to erase the new disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and restore.

3. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

Could you please tell me with numbered steps what to do? Remember, I have no copy of OS X and want mountain lion. I'm not even sure if it is within my time machine back up. Will I need an enclosure and how does that work? What tools do I need to open the Macbook?
    Also, is it possible that the problem is not the hard drive and that other circuits are blown, or are you quite sure it requires a new hard drive?

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- You can boot from your time machine backup or use Internet Recovery. Hold down Alt/Option at the startup chime. OS X is included in your Time Machine backup.
    It should be the hard drive. Slightly possible it's the SATA cable instead, but I doubt it.

So: Get a new drive, install it using this guide (tools are listed), boot with your Time Machine drive attached, hold down Alt at startup chime, choose to boot from either the Time Machine drive or Internet Recovery, and install OS X from there and restore from Time Machine if you want.

5. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

I began this process to fix a sound issue. Will rebooting with time machine necessarily bring that issue to the new hd?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2016 ---

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Not necessarily, but it could. Instead, do a new installation using either Internet Recovery (which will give you OS X Lion, the version your machine shipped with) or from a bootable USB drive or similar with the OS X version that suits you using DiskMaker X.
    After the installation, you can restore just your files etc. from Time Machine (while maintaining the newly installed OS X). It's a good idea to just check if the sound issue is gone before doing the TM restore.

7. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

The new hd installation is in progress. After putting the hd in I hit command r and waited for it to find the OS X. It found lion by default and is installing it now with over three hours to go. After this I will go to time machine backup and get files I want and office and iTunes. But I actually want mountain lion which I previously had. What should I do? Wait until lion is finished then get ml from my app purchases?
    I know it is on tm backup but I think it was corrupted - that's why I began this process, then while reinstalling OS X to fix a sound issue got the error message that my hd was damaged and could not be repaired. So I'm reluctant to do a full backup from tm because it will bring the OS X with it. It will also bring all the 275 gb tied up with "other". So my plan is to install OS X as I am now except I want mountain lion then just get individual things from the tm backup disk.
    What is the best way to get mountain lion at this point? As said above? Seems it will take a long time to do lion then ml

8. JTToft macrumors 68040