HD Died. What do I do when new HD is fitted?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OllieDS, Jun 11, 2013.

1. OllieDS macrumors member

I know this may seem like a very silly question, but after fitting the new HD what do I actually do?

Heres the story:
    I was on my MacBook Pro when it suddenly was freezing and crashing, I wasn't able to force quit any applications and this resulted in my turning off by holding the power button. When I turned it back on, I get the flashing folder icon.

Tomorrow my new HD will arrive and I know how to fit it, but what I can't find anywhere is what to actually do from there? I have 0 disks as its a Mid-2010 13' MacBook Pro (So no disks came with it).

Do I simply put the new HD in then turn on the machine or do I need to hold Command + R to re-install OS X or what?

Any help and extra tips would be appreciated.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You'll hold down cmd + r and install OS X. If you have a backup you can port over the data through migration assistant after OS X is installed.

3. simsaladimbamba

A 2010 MBP should have come with disks, a 2011 should have come with disks too until maybe August 2011.

Anyway, Internet Recovery is probably the way to go or if that does not work, phoning Apple to get Replacement Restore DVDs with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on it.

No Mac coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has physical restore media included.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

4. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have a really awful feeling that I will still get the flashing folder error message when turning it on, I hope I'm wrong though.

----------

Oh right. When I bought my MacBook Pro, the OS X version was the one previous to the current one which I bought on the App Store, will this complicate anything?

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Are you certain it's a hard drive failure? Sometimes the flashing folder comes after a hard drive cable failure. Might be worth a look. If so, then your hard drive should be ok.

6. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

What you do is, you install the new HDD then you boot from your bootable clone that you made in SuperDuper, Once your Mac starts up you can then open disk utility format the new HDD and then tell SuperDuper to copy the contents of the bootable clone back to your new HDD. And you pick up right from where you left off with the added bonus of having your new HDD defragged as well.

Or at least that would be the procedure if you had a bootable clone.

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

What version OSX did you purchase via the app store? 10.8?

8. OllieDS, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

The HD came this morning and I fitted it but still no luck :(

I put it in and held Command + R while powering on to take me to Internet recovery. I selected to reinstall OS X and it took me to the next page saying where would you like to install, but this area was blank and I could not select my HD to install it on. Anything you can think of worth trying? Would a CD change anything? Would taking out the HD cable change anything?

9. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Yes.

10. dannylillhtc macrumors member

dannylillhtc

did you partition the disk first with disk utility before you tried a clean install thatll solve that problem.....

11. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

I can't because when I go on Disk Utility it doesn't recognise the HD at all. Tried 2 HD's now but it doesn't recognise either. I'm thinking it is the HD cable that is buggered? I've seen a video or two on YouTube and it looks pretty simple and cheap to do? Does that seem like it could be the problem here?

I'm hoping it is because then I can return the new HD for a refund and would be able to keep my files.

12. dannylillhtc macrumors member

dannylillhtc

prolly is the cable then, hopefully all your data will be ok just make sure you get the right cable for your year of macbook

13. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Lets hope! I'll let you all know how I get on.

14. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Update: The replacement HDD Cable has worked and my MacBook Pro is now in full working order again.

Just to let people know, if you try to replace this, there is a little yellow ribbon cable you're supposed to connect on one of the HDD brackets. This had broke but this wire is only a heat sensor. Mine isn't connected and is just tucked next to the HDD so if yours is broken or you can't work it out, don't stress over it, it doesn't really need to be connected.