HD-DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tallest Skil, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The war is over. Good. Finally a clear-cut winner.

I want an internal HD-DVD burner. Not one of the Blu-ray burner/HD-DVD ROM drives, a standalone HD-DVD burner. I can't find one. I've searched eBay, Newegg, Google Products...

Does anyone know where to find one?

2. phoxrenvatio macrumors regular

are you saying that hd-dvd won? i was under the impression that blu-ray won the format war...

3. rlnhrt macrumors newbie

... why do you want an HD-DVD burner if the winner is Blu-Ray?

4. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I want an internal HD-DVD burner because Blu-ray won. They'll be cheaper now, and I can pick up a Blu-ray one in six months when they're cheaper, since they'll still be around.

I know some computers shipped with HD-DVD burners, so the components MUST be standalone, too... mustn't they?

Mainly, I want one to preserve a piece of history. That and I liked HD-DVD...:(

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Toshiba's HD DVD burners are not even available directly, much less from major retailers.

www.toshibadirect.com

6. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So... what does that mean for me? Do I have to troll eBay looking for someone selling the drive out of a PC they bought?

7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Either way, it means you won't find one worth the savings. Just spend $350 or so at Newegg and get a blu-ray drive.

8. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I WANT a Blu-ray drive, too. I just want an HD-DVD drive that burns as well as reads... Are there any dual-format burners that burn both? I was looking at this up until this morning when the war ended:

http://www.nowdirect.com/exec/partInfo/part_detail.tsb?prcpart=LGOGGW-H20L

Incidentally, are these people legit?

I really like this drive, but it doesn't burn to HD-DVD. I'll stick a laptop HD-DVD burner into my Mac Pro if I have to... I just want to be able to burn both!

9. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

That drive doesn't burn HD-DVDs.

10. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Why not just get a blu-ray drive? The HDDVD drive will be pointless for backing up content as the blu-ray drive will back up MUCH MUCH more. If you are looking for it to watch movies just pick up a cheapie from ebay.
    Let alone where will you be finding spare HDDVD discs to burn? They are ceasing production next month.

11. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Which is why I'm about to go out and get a couple HD-DVD-RWs now. I'd like to have some even if I can't find a burner, just to preserve the history.

But I'd still really like a burner.

12. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

You want some betamax tapes, too? :p

13. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I have never seen a stand alone HD-DVD burner. I know that some laptop drives in Toshiba laptops could write HD-DVD, but I don't think they were that common.

14. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

They're not. I've also never seen HD DVD media either. Apparently, it's theoretically available—somewhere—just not readily available.

Tallest Skil wants an HD DVD burner for nostalgia reasons.

15. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Pretty much everywhere around here (northeast Indiana) will have HD-DVD and Blu-ray media. Granted, not the el cheapo places like Family Dollar, but Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. carry both. Toshiba made an internal 1x HD-DVD-R/DL drive...

Sigh... then I want to pick up an HD-DVD movie, at least, if there isn't a standalone burner to be found... I'll still get one HD-DVD-R, though...

I guess I'll just get a LG GGW-H20L BD-RE DL/HD-DVD-ROM drive...

(Will these get cheaper/still be around in the coming months?)