HD-DVD in OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by taylorwilsdon, Sep 22, 2008.

1. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

So, I never kept up with this because I liked blu-ray better and never intended to play them on a computer in the first place, but through a strange set of circumstances (fine, it was cheap and I wanted blood diamond in HD) I ended up with a HD-DVD player (xbox 360 usb connection one).

It works fine in Windows, but I'd like to play in OSX... did that ever become possible, with any software?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I doubt it since Apple supports the blu-ray format.

3. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

As far as I know, you can't play Blu ray in OSX either... I'm mostly looking for some hack technique or 3rd party software.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't mean play. During the format war, Apple sided with Blu-ray, although they don't officially support it yet.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can watch it in 3rd party player software, and the drives are usually supported, at least that is what I have seen.

I believe VLC will allow you to Watch HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Disc, but don't quote me on that. I know the media is detected, since Toast will burn both formats.

TEG

6. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Ding ding. That's what I wanted to hear. I'll try VLC when I get home tomorrow, I had no idea it could be that easy.

7. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Let us know. I've been wanting a way to play BRD on OSX as well.