HD edit and

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by havel11, Dec 13, 2009.

1. havel11 macrumors newbie

Can you help me build mac pro for edit and burn hd video.Thank you jerry

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Any MacPro will do HD video. You might need to stripe a pair of discs and back them up regularly, but thats it, depending on the workload and codec. Every machine can be fine tuned to its task - right now I would point you to Newegg for HDs and the Apple refurb store.

What camera are you shooting with? What codecs would other people's footage be shot in if they were going to bring it to you? What editing programs will you be using? Why Mac?

3. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Do you have a budget you can share with us? And do you do it for a living or as side projects or just as a hobby?

4. havel11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have HDR-FX1 CAMERA AND 5000 TO SPEND.For smal production .Thank for help

5. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Since its DV and not AVCHD, and you want to keep costs down, grab a refurb mac pro 2.8, got to OWC to put the ram up to a minimun 8 gb but might want to shoot for 16 gb, if your not comfortable doing a raid to start, get 3 1TB drives (1 for OS and apps, 1 for scratch disk, and 1 for your backup. If your going to raid, you will need more disks. Big question is what program are you comfortable using.. iMovie, FCE or FCP? I would not recommend using snow leopard now as have heard of hickups with the older versions of the 3 editing software not matching up well with snow leopard. Apple should be redoing them to take advantage of snow leopard and should be out early next year. Also a good monitor too.

6. havel11 thread starter macrumors newbie

HD edit and

:)I still like to edit in hd ,and how I can burn to the disk.FCP is good for me.Thank you for help

7. havel11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Side projects ,do you do HD edit on your Mac Pro Quad 2.93 ATi 4870?

8. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I edit 1280x720 50p footage from my JVC HM100 and it works really well. My MBP can handle it as well, but well, I've got a Mac Pro. :) Aside from the OS+apps hard drive, maybe get an additional two Western Digital Caviar Black hdd and raid them for a scratch disk. That is what I am doing and it works well.

If I were you I'd get a refurb 2008 8 core at apple.com like the above poster recommended. Upgrade to more ram at owc.com, some caviar black hard drives for scratch disk and get a nice ati 4890 (for PC) then flash it with Cindori's flash tool.

I would have gotten a refurb, but since I am currently in Hong Kong, the refurbs on Mac Pro is almost non existent, so I just with the 09 quad 2.93.