HD Editing/Burning Issues

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acpryor, Mar 23, 2009.

1. acpryor macrumors newbie

Hey folks.. in need of some serious help... been wrestling with this for far too long...

I've edited my HD video in iMovie HD (06?) ... (it's imported from an Sony miniDV HD camera)... it looks/sounds fine....

But I don't have a great way to get my HD content in an HD format.

Here's what I've tried:

1) I have a Blu-Ray burner... I burned the movie using Toast 10 last night and the audio/video works until about 30 mins into it then it falls out of sync... And some of the video looks odd (strange pixelation at times).

2) I have an Apple TV, but I have to import into iMovie 09 (which I have as well), then "Share to Apple TV" and get similar audio/video out-of-sync issues.

3) I could burn to normal DVD but then I lose my HD goodness.

4) I've "Shared it" back to camera on a fresh miniDV tape, audio/video sync issues still.

So, I don't know a) what I'm doing wrong or b) if it's Apple and their lousy support for HD content and I'm out of luck HD-wise until they get their act together.

I'm on a previous generation (2007) mac pro quad, with 4gb of ram. I have have 3 extra hard drives inside the box, and a g-Drive gSpeed es with 4 drives connected as well.

(I have Final Cut Express, but haven't installed it yet. I'd prefer not to take on the learning curve unless I have to.)

This is extremely frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

"...imported from an Sony miniDV HD camera..."

Which camera?

And what settings did you use?

miniDV and HD only come as HDV. Do you mean that?

3. acpryor thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an HC3 I think... it's this one....

.. a miniDV camera that captures HD to miniDV tapes... Not sure on nomenclature so perhaps that is the same as HDV... but the camera can use either HD or standard miniDV tapes although I always use the better ones. Always.

My Mac will automatically import the 1080i footage, not sure about "settings". When "Sharing to tape" or "Sharing to Apple TV", I've tried about everything including the defaults. The key is that it's captured in the best possible way with attention paid a little to file size. So, I don't need the highest audio bit rate but I do need a high MB/sec transfer rate (for Blu-Ray)... But using the default Apple TV settings didn't work, so I don't know what to do...

4. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Sweet jesus Toast sucks.

This article helped me a lot with burning blu-rays.

Now with CS4, the adobe media is really good. You need to use encore, but it's not that bad making a simple first play blu ray. So yeah, buy adobe premiere or the adobe production suite. Pretty much the only way to make a good blu ray, without having to pay monthly for DoStudio.

Oh by the way, i took a chance buying these vinpower digital 4x blu rays at Newegg, and the totally rock. $45 for 10, 4x and inkjet printable. Highly reccomended.

And here's a cheap place where i order by blu ray cases.

5. acpryor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... I'll look over what you posted... I appreciate the help!

6. acpryor thread starter macrumors newbie

Would Premier Elements do what I needed or do I need the big boy. I don't make fancy DVDs, these are basically home movie/family get together/vacation movies, but I have dozens and dozens of HD miniDV tapes to convert to Blu-Ray.

7. acpryor thread starter macrumors newbie

Encore requires the purchase of the whole production suite. Elements can burn blu-ray but I'm not sure if people are successful with it or not.