HD Editing RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OneArmedScissor, Feb 1, 2008.

1. OneArmedScissor macrumors member

Im an HD editor that uses FCS and im buying a new mac pro and im wondering about my RAM situation. I would like to get as much RAM as i can from OWC, although, i find myself torn between getting 4GB modules and getting 8 gigs now and expanding later, or getting 16GB (8X2GB). I am also going to get the Nvidia 5600, which now has a process that takes a large amount of the memory load and puts it on the GPU. With all things considered; including heat, channels, max memory with the apps, and new memory config issues, whats my best option? Also, what is the maximum recognized RAM to worry about when using final cut studio apps? I also do a lot of maya work and shake. Thanks.

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It's gonna get a bit hot under the hood but you can get different types of heat dissipation devices.

I'd get 16GB RAM (8X2) . That along with that 5600 and it should do fine. That's not to say 32GB wouldn't be better.

Sounds to me like since you have the money to get all that and use those apps upgrading memory in the future shouldn't be a problem.

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I am wondering what advantages for HD video editing you expect from this graphics card. If you were doing CAD or 3D modeling, sure, but HD video?

If you don't know what to do with your money, by all means go ahead and get the 5600 (or better yet: make a donation to me :D), but for HD editing I'd rather spend that money on a high performance, high capacity RAID solution to support uncompressed HD.

- Martin

4. Reach macrumors 6502a

Maybe "HD-editing" includes some work in Motion etc...

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well he already said that he uses Maya.

6. OneArmedScissor thread starter macrumors member

i have used the quadro 5500 in a PC at the studio i work at and for even HDV render speeds are higher and the stress that they take off the components are amazing. I use maya a lot and on my comp at home i have 8800 and it really does not have the same performance by any means. the 5600 is great for film and broadcast work, which is what i do. On the side i use maya and shake for own creation.

7. OneArmedScissor thread starter macrumors member

im in the midst of building my own raid device, with fiber connect.

8. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Oops, missed that - sorry!

- Martin