HD editing, which MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iToaster, Jan 31, 2008.

1. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Ok, I've come to the realization that I do not need a MBP anymore and am selling for a mac pro. I want to know just how much faster the 8 core 2.8 is over the 4 core 2.8. I'll be buying a 20" ACD with this (I'll hate it if it isn't Apple, trust me, don't try to convince me otherwise), and with that 4 core downgrade, it's a little more affordable, but will it make a difference to me later down the road and can I upgrade the quad to an octo down the road, the other threads haven't been too conclusive on that. As well, in order to best utilize the processing power (ie more than one core), will iMovie (ha ha, prolly not), FCE, and/or full blown FCP use all the cores?

2. zesta macrumors member

Go for the 8-core. As has been discussed, the processor chip alone costs $900. Add in the cost of the heatsink (if you can even get it), and the trouble of doing the upgrade, and the fact that you would likely void your warranty... It just isn't worth it to add a second processor later.

-Randy

3. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

Thanks, I figured it would be a bad idea, probably not worth upgrading to a 3 or 3.2 Ghz, right?. As for the ACD, I changed my mind, I'll just get a Dell monitor unless I can find a cheap ACD.

4. zesta macrumors member

The speed choice is up to you. I don't personally think it is worth it for the CPU. The money is better spent on RAM and Hard drives.

Some people will benefit, but most won't notice the difference.

-Randy

5. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Don't skimp out, The Dell Monitor cannot be compared. I have a 2405FPW and 2 2005FPW's. The 30" ACD makes them look like garbage. My friends 3007FPW is nothing compared to the 30" ACD as well. The ACD is the only way.

Go for the dual 2.8ghz, 2.8ghz vs 3.2ghz is maybe 10 minutes difference when encoding, tops. If it's worth it for you, then by all means get it, if not, the 2 x 2.8ghz's will do.

Cheers!

6. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

Alright, thanks a bunch. I'll buy the stock Mac Pro, upgrading RAM, HD, etc with OWC, and a 20" or 23" ACD.

7. iBeard macrumors regular

If you are editing HD, I would suggest at LEAST the 23" if not the 30".