HD Enclosure Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ribbonthecat, Nov 21, 2007.

1. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

I need to buy a new enclosure for media storage and a scratch drive for Photoshop, and so forth. I've been thinking about this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEFW924AL2OB/

I don't actually need so much storage, but this enclosure is not very much more expensive than a single drive enclosure. Would I be able to install just one hard-drive into this, and have the second one as a future option? Or would it be worth it to install two smaller disks and put them into a RAID 0 configuration.

I guess I should ask for advice about HDs as well. Which brand, where to get them, etc.

Thanks!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes you can install just one HD into it. This enclosure has multiple option for RAID and non-raid.

500gb is the best deal right now (around $100 shipped with 3-5 year warranty). If you can afford it, 750GB is around $165, which is not much more than the per GB price of the 500gb drive. 1TB drives are typically way too much right now though.

As to HD, I would get them with 5 year warranty if possible. Don't get one with just 1 year warranty. 3 year is ok.

For awhile OWC had 500gb for $100, haven't seen it for the past 2 months, but search "500gb sata" on that or on your favorite shopping comparison site.