Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jtuner77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
I had a tendency to leave my 2010 Mac Pro tower. The primary hard drive took a dump. I replaced it with a brand new hard drive and ever since then it has been EXTREMELY slow and freezes up very often.

First I thought maybe the internal wireless card was dying(no hard line to the tower) but after running a ethernet cable to it, it still runs very slow.

Does anyone have any clues or ideas to repair this? I was worried it was the lack of memory as I have one 2Gig of memory in it presently but plan to upgrade to 16 or 32gig, add a new video card and a SSD for my boot drive.

If anyone has any knowledge about this topic please let me know.

Thanks!!!!

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

What's on the new HD? A clone of the old one? A copy from a back-up? A fresh install?

Loa

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
2 gigs of memory is just flat out not enough these days.

Did you install a newer OS when you got the new drive? That might do it if you have 2 gigs of memory.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
2 gigs of memory is just flat out not enough these days.

Did you install a newer OS when you got the new drive? That might do it if you have 2 gigs of memory.

Was in the middle of writing a reply when I noticed this. Pretty much what I was going to ask. 2GB is just not enough, I constantly use around 10 with just my normal browsing/workflow.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
SSD+RAM+fresh OS install

That doesn't explain the fact that the performance with the old disk and 2 GiB was apparently acceptable.

You're just throwing money at the problem - why not suggest a 12-core new Mini Pro while you're proposing fixes that simply replace the hardware? ;)

doc james

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
United Kingdom
Just a few random thoughts:

1) Is Spotlight currently hard at work re-indexing the new drive?

2) The way you've focussed on the wireless card makes me wonder if it's network performance you're most worried about. Is the OS currently doing an automatic down of some enormous update? Is iTunes matching or downloading or something? Have you got a backup program that's doing a "first backup" of the new drive.

3) Do disk permissions need fixing?

4) Have you installed the same OS it had before or have you "upgraded". Because a few "upgrades" might be disappointing on a machine with limited RAM.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Apple won't even sell you a new machine with 2GB of RAM, Haven't for awhile now. 2GB go RAM in a Mac Pro is like trying to power a Silverado with a Briggs & Stratton Lawn Mower Engine.

Lou

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
only the disk changed

Apple won't even sell you a new machine with 2GB of RAM, Haven't for awhile now. 2GB go RAM in a Mac Pro is like trying to power a Silverado with a Briggs & Stratton Lawn Mower Engine.

Lou

The OP seemed to be happy with the performance with the old disk.

2 GiB should be fine for light use. At least it is on the far more popular desktop OS.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
That doesn't explain the fact that the performance with the old disk and 2 GiB was apparently acceptable.

Maybe OP was using an older OS, like snow leopard, which is more than acceptable with only 2 GB, and now with an upgraded OS (assuming he is now running Mavericks), it is RAM hungry.

HuntingPudel

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
California
Haven't heard back from the OP yet, so it's just conjecture as to whether he/she is running a newer OS version than the one that was on the original HDD. That said, it makes sense that a newer version of the OS would need more RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.