HD failing on late 27" 2009 imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sean-G, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Sean-G macrumors newbie

hey all

So I'm pretty sure the HD on my iMac is failing (start up just takes forever) its also been freezing on me a bunch, Today it just wont load. Got all the way up to the login screen, and nothing.

So I'm looking for a internal HD (im gonna pay the place for labor and the data recovery but I think I can get the HD cheaper). I'm looking for a 2TB internal

any recommendations? Would like to keep costs low

----------

would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barra...-1&keywords=2+tb+internal+hard+drive+for+imac

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

Before replacing it yourself, See if your iMac was recalled under the Apple Seagate HD Replacement Program. Apple was supposed to discontinue this program, but apparently will still do the repairs in some cases. It won't hurt to try. If your iMac S/N falls under the program, print out the page and call the Apple number.

3. scottsjack macrumors 68000

I feel your pain. The POS Apple-spec Seagate on my 2010 21.5 inch died in much the same manner that you describe. Also the optical drive died.

After reviewing instruction videos from OWC and Youtube I installed a 2TB WD Black HD and a Blu-ray reader from OWC. Because Apple had the HD temperature sensor built into the HD I had to buy software to modify the HD temperature input.

The job was slow and tough with a several different fragile connections and lot of dust. When the torture was over I have an iMac with more storage capacity and a far better quality hard drive than before. It cost me less than having the Apple Store replace the crappy components with the same crappy components.

The inside of the original junk hard drive looks nothing like the one in the Amazon link. That one appears to be an actual quality hard drive.