HD for a first gen Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by floyde, Jun 1, 2008.

1. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

So my sister's Hard Drive failed miserably... I ran disk utility on the Mac OS install disk and it didn't detect the drive at all. I'm tech-savy enough to replace the HD (I actually took out the broken one already), but HD specs bore me to death :p, so I can't really tell them apart from each other. I was wondering what type of HD is compatible with a first gen macbook. The broken disc is a Seagate Momentus 5400.2 with 60GB of storage.

I'm thinking this could work, what do you guys think? I want to stay below 50 bucks if possible, if you guys could help me find a compatible one I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Oh btw, the computer is no longer under warranty and my sis needs it ASAP, so sending it for repair is out of the question.
    Here's a pic of the fail for increased drama :p:

Attached Files:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Looks OK. All you need to know is SATA, 2.5", 9mm in height.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for.

Thanks, I'll look into that, but I guess for now we'll have to buy another one 'cause my sister needs to get back to work as soon as possible. I guess I can sell the replacement on ebay or something.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Seagate warranty is not applicable - it is an Apple branded Seagate and Seagate will simply tell you to go to Apple.

But since this is a Seagate with firmware 7.01 then maybe you should have a read here

http://www.retrodata.co.uk/notice_apple_seagate_drives.php

Apple are "looking into it" but it seems fairly clear that it is a manufacturing defect and I would hope that Apple should give you a new drive to replace it - even if the MacBook is out of warranty. They are aware of the problem......