hd for time machine on macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by subq, Nov 11, 2008.

1. subq macrumors member

Any recommends on portable hd's for new macbook (no firewire) and time machine?

The WD passports are terrible in regards to reliability.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If I didn't have a good working external drive right now, I'd consider a Time Capsule for the whole house to use (5 Macs).

3. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

I just bought a Time Capsule 500G and attached my other 500G to it. Pretty sweet.

Joshua.

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Does it have to be "portable" as in 2.5" HDD? If not, I always like to build my own. I like the Macally External cases with Seagate Barracuda drives.

Macally also makes 2.5" enclosures, but they don't look as slick as the MyBook, FreeAgent, and Passport OEM drives.

I have lots of Macally cases in many flavors. I just bought a 2.5" enclosure (PHR-S250CC) with a SATA interface and USB/FW ports. Works great.

5. BayouBengal macrumors regular

I only have one Mac so I just took an extra HDD that I had in my old desktop PC and put it in an enclosure, it's a 160gb drive. It's good enough for now. I wanted my 1TB drive to be my back up drive but it won't spin up, time to RMA it!

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

This may be the case. However if it is just a backup (not the sole copy of files), wouldn't it be less of an issue?

Anyway, I use the WD My Book drives. They are quite - no low fan noise, just the normal HDD clicking. Also, it has auto on/off - one less switch to manage when I connect/disconnect.

In contrast, many external drive enclosures have a power button, with a noisy fan.

7. subq thread starter macrumors member

I only have the macbook that I need to back up.

I would love to back it up to the NAS on the network but I have to hack it for time machine to do that I believe.

Maybe I will just buy an enclosure and use something other than WD for the drive.

8. miiles macrumors regular

9. subq thread starter macrumors member

after running the numbers it is almost worth it to just get the time capsule or airport extreme (I use an airport express now so I can't hook a HD into it for time machine over the air)

I imagine airport extreme would be more flexible as long as I could backup with time machine over the air...does that work? I had read they removed that feature or something (but that was a long time ago).