HD full, cannot find where the space went

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nazgul42, Jun 27, 2009.

1. nazgul42 macrumors newbie

My Mac Mini says it has a 56-or-so GB hard drive, and that about 54 GB of it is used up. If I try to use a program like JDiskReport or OmniDiskSweeper to find out what files are taking up so much space, they only find about 20 GB worth of files. I have only one partition on the hard drive. What else could be taking up so much space?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This may sound silly... but have you emptied the trash?
    Unless you empty the trash, the files still take up space

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Open a terminal window, and do a

du -h

That'll show you the disk space utilization in all of your directories.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Install and run GrandPerspective or DiskInventoryX, see if they say anything different.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

6. nazgul42 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried Grand Perspective and it comes up with:
    Size of scanned files: 17.8 GB
    Miscellaneous used space: 35.2 GB
    how can I free this "Miscellaneous used space"?

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I apparently didn't have the latest version. Mine didn't have that break down. Generally what you do is look for the large blocks in the visual area and down in the status bar it'll give you the path to that block. Then you can delete as need be.

Here's what the Grand Perspective help says about the miscellaneous.

8. nazgul42 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just figured it out....
    Another user has made many large (3GB+) files, but since I had not run any of those programs as root, i could not see them.
    Thanks for all your help.

9. Barty Fartslast macrumors newbie

I think I may be having the same problem with my wife's iMac (no such problem on my MBP, thankfully). The total drive space is 297 GB, the "size of scanned files" is 173 GB (which is what a manual count adds up to using Finder), and Free Space (44 GB) plus "Miscellaneous used space" (80 GB) rounds it out.

The maddening things is that I cannot figure out where this *#$%* 80 GB is hiding!

I have seen comments about running applications as "root" - being a former Windows guy, I've always assumed this just means having local admin rights - but apparently that is not the way it works on a Mac?

Can I (as a local Admin) not see some user's files on this machine? That might explain it, but my wife has ~80 GB in photo files on this machine in her iPhoto library, and I can see THOSE with Grand Perspective, no problem...

10. nazgul42 thread starter macrumors newbie

You cannot see folders that belong to other users unless you are logged in as root, or somehow running the program as root, and that may be what is happening.

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Try going into terminal, typing "cd .." which will bring you to /Users then type "sudo du -h -d 1" which should show you how much each user is using.

du = disk use
    -h = human readable (converts sizes to megabytes and gigabytes)
    -d 1 = go 1 directory deep, without this it spews out a LOT of stuff as it gives you each subfolder size as well.

12. Barty Fartslast macrumors newbie

Solved

OK, somehow I solved the problem.

I was using iPhoto Library Manager fro Fat Cat Software (a great program, BTW!) and had merged a couple of iPhoto libraries, saving the old ones just to be safe (I was merging iPhoto Libraries from my wife, my daughter, and myself, all with separate user accounts on the iMac).

Well, I went in and using iPhoto Library Manager merged ALL the remaining libraries, then deleted them from the iMac (actually moved them to an external drive just to be safe).

Somehow magically when I was done with this process, the Finder reported that I had regained my missing 100 GB of space, and the the mysterious "Miscellaneous used space" in Grand Perspective was now 0 GB.

The only other thing I did was move a ~65 GB iTunes library to an external drive manually in the Finder, just to make sure I had space for the iPhoto library merging. Once I was done, I moved the iTunes Music folder back