HD Full with iMovie Project - Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fscarpa, Apr 6, 2009.

1. fscarpa macrumors regular

Yesterday I made a project with iMovie and started to import it as a QuickTime .mov file. I´ve set everything to the best quality and encoding, without compression. My HD had 101Gb free space. This morning there was an error warning that the project could not be completed because the HD was full. I checked and there's 0kb of free space!
    How do I fix it? Where do I look for files to delete? What shall I do?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Get an external drive for editing in iMovie.

If you want to delete some movies you can use iMovie or just go into the Finder.

Users > You > Movies > iMovie. Look for big files.

If there is only one big ass file (like 70-100GB or more), and is named something like iMovie Library,
    right click on that > Show Package Contents and browse for the files you want to delete.

3. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

Once I connected an external drive, how do I "tell" iMovie to use it for editing?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have iMovie '08 or later, you just move that big file (iMovie Library) to the external, delete the one on your internal and the next time iMovie starts, it will ask you, where the Library is.

Or you could start iMovie while pressing the Option/Alt key, and it will ask you the same.

Maybe the manual has more to say on this topic.

5. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

6. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

I've just found out the problem, but I couldn't fix it.
    When I set iMovie to export the project as .mov I set Desktop as the target folder. It didn't complete the task because the HD ran out of space.
    When I click command+I on the desktop it says it's using 196.15Gb but nothing appears on it - no file, no folder.
    Is there anyway I can empty this?

7. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

If I look at Desktop folder with Finder, it's empty. I tried to rebuild it with command+option on startup - doesn't work. Tried to clean Mac with Iceclean - doesn't work either. Here's attached a picture of Desktop Info. It says 0 items with 196.15GB on disk!?!?!?

Attached Files:

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

There is no iMovie library, that's only for iTunes and iPhoto. Consider these two articles as ways to move your iMovie Events to an external drive:

Article 1
    Article 2

They say iMovie '08 but the principles for iMovie '09 are the same as far as how the footage is managed.

9. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, but my biggest problem now is how to get back those 196GB of space in my HD. My iMovie events/projects together don´t reach 1GB!

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I thought there would be, as I helped someone else a month ago, who couldn't find the video files he/she used in iMovie, and he/she found one big file in that iMovie folder, and it could be opened with Show Package contents.
    He/she said that it worked like this in the end.

And iTunes hasn't one big ass file, iPhoto does. Or my iTunes differs from yours, I don't know. I have a lot of folders with folders in it and files.

11. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

Already tried this. There aren´t big files in it. But thank you anyway.
    Started a new thread with the problem. This one is not calling attention to the actual problem.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Use Onyx to show hidden files. (and to hide hidden files once you are done).

Have you quit iMovie?

13. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try it.

Yes, I did. I even restarted Mac with option+command pressed.

14. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much! It did the job!