HD geek alert - playing back iPhone 4 video on TV, tips

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chodite, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

So I found the best way to get the HD videos recorded on the iPhone 4 to an HDTV is to import the vid(s) to a Mac/PC (iPhoto for example).

Drag the video to your desktop.

Save to USB stick, plug into Xbox 360 (PS3 doesn't play .MOV files out of the box)

BUT...

Because the bitrate is roughly 10MB/sec for the raw HD videos from the iPhone 4, the video actually does not play smoothly and appears choppy.

Solution (before putting vid(s) on USB stick) - open the video, which should now reside on your desktop, using Quicktime.

Next, choose "File" --> "Export". Simply choose the HD 720p option.

The new bitrate will be 5MB/sec (still HD) and will play beautifully on your HDTV via a USB stick/Xbox 360 combo.

Of course the videos can be streamed via options like Apple TV and software for the PS3/Xbox 360 which will stream photos/vids/music from your Mac/PC.

Any questions, please post here.

2. macman20 macrumors member

Can you tell me which format are you saving your HD movie. Is it still .mov format or different. I couldn't find HD 720p option.

3. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Make sure you're using the latest version of Quicktime.

You'll clearly see an option for "HD 720p"

Still saves it as a .MOV file. Though I believe you can choose from a number of formats when exporting (at work right now, no Mac/Quicktime access)

4. protobiont macrumors 6502a

It's a shame you can't just do HDMI out from the bottom port, via an adapter.

It seems like apple, because of their popularity, has to do more to appease the copyright holders than the smaller phone manufacturers.

5. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Agreed. I'm very jealous of phones like the Droid X, EVO, etc. which have an HDMI output. With the beautiful quality of the pics and vids that this new iPhone takes, it's a real shame Apple makes it a P.I.T.A. to view them outside of the phone itself.

6. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

7. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

8. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Or, like mentioned above - use Quicktime and export it as a different file type.

9. MrNase macrumors member

Converting them to 720p is not really a solution, it's more of a workaround.

A 720p frame has roughly about 1 million pixels. Compared to it, a 1080p frame has 2 million pixels.

Sure, you get a smaller file but you'll also get a movie file with less details.

10. macman20 macrumors member

I don't want to start new thread but can you guys tell me how can i watch my iphone 4 videos in xbox360 without LOSING quality?

11. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

i connected my iPhone 4 to the apple component cable and was able to watch my movies and imove video...... Would this have been in 720p?

TV is full HD

12. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

The video camera on iPhone 4 is 720p out of the box.

720p is HD.

13. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Follow my steps above in the original post.

It's still 720p (as is the raw file).. you're just dialing down the bitrate. To the naked eye, no loss of quality.

14. macman20 macrumors member

Is there any easy method watching ip4 movies in xbox? Converting video will take forever in qT PRO.

15. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

it isn't a workaround when you are starting with 720p to begin with. iphone4 doesn't shoot 1080p.