HD Hard Disk camcorders that work with iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stephenc92, Nov 29, 2007.

1. stephenc92 macrumors regular

stephenc92

I'm looking at either a Sony HDR-SR5E or HDR-SR7E. Will either of these work with iMovie '06/'08. I have both, but prefer '06. '08 is a terrible mistake from Apple.

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I've got a Sony HDR-SR5 and works no problem with iMovie 08, does not work with iMovie 06. You will need a converter such a Voltaic to get it working with iMovie 06. As a side note, the SR5 (so assume the SR-7 will too) work really well with Final Cut Express 4.

You can also import the movies in to iMovie 08, save them and then import into iMovie 06

A little warning, if you take a copy of the video files off the camera and then delete them off the camera you will need to convert them to work with iMove 08 and FCE 4. you can not copy the files back onto the camera and then import them into iMovie 08 or FEC 4.

3. southside is me macrumors newbie

Scott, I've got 20 hours of .m2ts files saved from my sony hdr5 on pc hard drive, just buying an imac, any ideas how I can get them into imovie08 or final cut (obviously new direct files from camcorder I assume will go into these OK)?

Southside

4. mehfly macrumors newbie

hi scott....i also hve a hdrsr5 and a macbook pro...however can get it to work

i hve i life 08 and final cut express

i hve on my camcorder both hd and sd video

the hd video wont import on fce

and the sd just wont do anthing---althougth not tried it on imovie

can you tell me hw u did it

at the moment i need the sd clips to work!!

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I believe, if you have HD and SD footage, you need to import the SD first, then delete it off the camera. The HD footage will then import.

I'll try and dig the like out from where I read that.

6. mehfly macrumors newbie

thanks....itd b great for u 2 tell m hw to get all this workin...i was well annoyed finkin my camcorder was never going 2 work with my mac..