HD Help PLZ !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thinsulate008, Apr 21, 2012.

1. thinsulate008 macrumors newbie

How`s it going ladies & gents. Just thought i`d come here and ask for your help with a problem im having. My internal HD (macbook pro 13) has recently began playing up and I dont want to take any chances and let if fail completely (dont have applecare), so i`ve decided to DIY a HD replacement but have no idea how to go about it. Here are my specs.

2.53GHz MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009)
    (MB991LL/A)

Memory - 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 8GB

Hard Drive - 250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm (fujitsu mja2250bh ffs g1 )

I came across this HD replacement tutorial video on youtube >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HS6ELFwD3A <<< which i`ll use to guide me through the process.

I`m going to buy the Apple MacBook Pro Complete 30 Piece Professional Screwdriver Set >>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MacBo...ZVU2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1335007557&sr=8-5 <<< to open it up etc.

Problem is I cant seem to find the exact hard drive (fujitsu mja2250bh ffs g1 ) anywhere online so im stuck as to what replacement would best suit my needs (im not tech savvy at all). The internal fuijitsu is 250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm but I wouldnt mind a 500gb replacement if possible. I read it`s not advisable to switch a stock 5400 rpm drive with a 7200 rpm so I want to stick with a 5400 rpm drive. I would like any info on the most reliable hard drive you would suggest.

Thanks
    Jon

2. simsaladimbamba

Any 2.5" S-ATA HDD with a maximum height of 12.5 mm will work.
    And you can use a 7.200 RPM HDD as well, many do too.
    Whoever advised you that you can only use 5.400 RPM HDDs with a Mac, that came with such HDD, does not know better.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

As for what HDD, get the one with the best warranty and size you want and also invest in backup options, if you haven't yet. Or use the current HDD in a USB enclosure for backup purposes.

3. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, that HDD would work. But you could also use a 7.200 RPM HDD, which is slightly faster. But the site you linked to does not seem to have any and the search does not work in Safari and Aurora.

5. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. RE: THE 7200 RPM HDD. I was told by an apple customer servies rep when I called them RE: my HDD playing up a few weeks ago. The rep said I could use an external 7200 rpm hdd but an internal would not be advised. Not being that tech savvy I just took it as gospel lol. Thing is if there is any chance it would cause problems i`d rather stick to the 5400rpm and be on the safe side. No need being greedy lol.

6. simsaladimbamba

Apple techs don't always know it all, even if they seem so.
    A faster HDD just spins faster and may vibrate more and consumes more battery, but other than that there is nothing that speaks against using a faster HDD.

Maybe ask the Apple tech what s/he thinks about using an SSD, since they are even faster?

Anyway, that HDD you linked to will work and may suffice your needs.

7. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found a 7200rpm version >>> http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=0A72335 <<<. Will this do ?

9. simsaladimbamba

Yes, that will do too, but don't go buying a 7.200 RPM HDD just because I told you so. If you are comfortable with spending 30 GBP more, then go for it. If not, the other HDD will be okay too.

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Many 5.200-5.400 rpm models are faster than the 7.200 rpm models, so it makes no sense to use such a loud bastard.

11. simsaladimbamba

If you compare a 500 GB HDD with 5.400 RPM using two 250 GB platters with a 500 GB HDD with 7.200 RPM using two 250 GB platters the 7.200 RPM HDD is faster by 20 MB/s. If you use a 750 GB HDD with 5.400 RPM using two 375 GB platters, that HDD will be faster than a 500 GB HDD with 7.200 RPM using two 250 GB platters due to the higher density and less travel time by the read/write head on the 750 GB HDD.

12. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi folks. Could you please tell me if these two drives are the same.

HITACHI Travelstar Internal 2.5" SATA Hard Drive 500GB

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hitac...l-2-5-sata-hard-drive-500gb-07677917-pdt.html

http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=0A57915

I`ve used the company below before and would rather use them again if the drives are the same. Im not very tech savvy so I dont want to be lost in the small print and buy something slightly different in performance. Just triple checking lol.

Thanks.

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Unfortunately the rep does not know what he is talking about. Apple themselves will happily sell you an MBP with a 7200 RPM if you build to order. On the 2011 model it costs £40 to upgrade from a 5400 RPM 750 GB drive to a 7200 RPM 750 GB when you're ordering.

14. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I`ve decided to stick with the 5400rpm. Could some1 plz tell me if those 2 HD ^^^ are the same (I want to order 1 today).

15. simsaladimbamba

Since the PC World website does not provide much detail, we don't know. Why is it important, that those two need to be the same? The one HDD you linked to on the site you want to order from is an okay HDD already.

16. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

They dont have to be the same. As you said the pc world website does not provide much detail + i`ve used the other site before so If the HDD on the other site is ok i`d rather get that one.

17. thinsulate008, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi folks. Just ran into a problem I need help with. I managed to buy this HD >>> http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=0A57915 <<< and have just installed it into my macbook pro using this video as a step by step guide PART1 >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZftFVnXmVg&feature=relmfu <<< PART 2 >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwLEl6AuKhY&feature=relmfu <<<. At the end of the backup process using time machine it said my backup had been successful and I should restart the laptop which I did but its not booting past the grey screen with the apple logo (i`ve tried switching off and restarting again with no luck). I have no idea what could be the problem or where to start looking so would appreciate any help.

PS: My macbook pro 13 inch Mid 2009 came with osx 10.6.4 but im currently using 10.6.8 (if that could be causing a problem)

Thanks.

18. icewing macrumors 6502

Try installing OS X from the CD that came with your computer.

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you get an enclosure for your old drive? Can you still boot from it in the external enclosure?

B

20. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

The upgrading and backing up using time machine was no problem. I just dont know why the new HD is not booting up. Im thinking its probably a setting I need to change or something.

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Does anything happen differently if you hold Alt/Option during boot?

B

22. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

I`ve actually put back the original HD and its working. If you look at the step by step vids I used in my original ? ^^^, I did that exactly but for some reason the new HD is stuck on the grey screen apple logo loading stage.

----------

I`ve tried holding opt during boot with the original osx install disk in the superdrive and I get the boot from MACINTOSH HD or from the MAC OSX dvd options. I`ve tried both and it just goes back to the grey screen on both. When I tried using safe mode it starts loading in safe mode then stops and goes to grey, apple logo screen.

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I can't watch the videos now. How did you backup/restore?

Can you connect both drives to the Mac at one time (i.e. do you have an enclosure?).

B

24. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used time machine to restore from backup. I dont have an enclosure for the original HD (will have to get 1).

PS: When you get time pls watch the video as you`ll get a good idea of exactly what I did.

25. thinsulate008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi folks. I`ve decided to buy an enclosure for my external HD thats not booting up, connect it to my macbook via usb to see if time machine actually restored from back up. I was thinking to keep things as simple as possible i`d download carbon copy cloner and just clone the internal HD as it is, take it out and put the new cloned HD inside. Thing is if time machine has actually restored from back up and the new HD now has some information on it, if I were to erase it all and make an exact clone would that in any way cause some loss in quality/stability of the new HD in the long run?. I dont wanna have to go through this again anytime soon lol.