HD in empty optical bay?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by greenchester, Mar 17, 2009.

1. greenchester macrumors newbie

So I just got my 2.26 octo (620 HD, 8 gigs ram from apple, 8 coming from OWC, 4870) and of course have to open it up and see how it is all put together. Moving up from the original 2.0 dual G5 with 4 gigs ram. (Had an 2.8 iMac for a while but thats another story), so ready for another long term workhorse.

So my question is: The empty optical bay had the sata/power combo cord and it plugged right into an extra drive i had. Can we put a Hd in this area? is there heat issues?

I am planning on the 620HD to be the main core/apps drive; a 1TB drive for work files; and the other two bays be matching 500GB striped RAID (software based RAID) for photoshop scratch disks.

I would still like to have a boot camp drive for the occasional game or whatever in windows, but would rather have a dedicated drive for that.

So... would this location work?

2. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

I have a 2008 Mac Pro and Windows will not identify the spare SATA ports on the board. May have changed with the 2009 model though.

3. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

It sounds like you've answered the question yourself. Yes it works and I'd say no to there being any thermal issues. The Mac Pro is very smart at keeping itself cool.Worst case scenario is that it runs a little louder.