Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
I agree with the OP, it is silly to label them "HD". If i recall, the apps are seperated in the itunes store and in itunes on my computer.

When i am in the itunes store I have yet to accidently buy an iphone app when what i wanted was the ipad one. There is a little box at the top that says iphone and one that says ipad. Easy enough to select the correct button for the device you are looking for.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Agree with the OP. But I think the recent wave of iPad apps have little or no HD or XL badge. The HD/XL badge was only during the first couple of weeks for launch. But I do hope this sort of labeling stops. Labelling HD raises expectation of the app. I've seen HD badged apps with crappy graphics and UI. HD does not sell the app.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
I find it hilarious. Only because this whole HD thing is reminding me of the Nintendo 64. At least HD isn't a number. That Nintendo 64 really messed up the names of quite a few sequel titles.

"Hey man, remember Super Mario?"
"Yeah. I played Super Mario 64!!"
"Woah!! What happened to 4-63?"

On the other hand, I can see people using it simply as a way to see it's made for iPad. Especially since there are often separate iPhone versions of the same titles. Two simple letters are better than more. I don't want to have "iPAD" or something thrown in there.

If only we had another short two-letter description, that everybody could recognize, which would detail something that uses iPad resolutions. Everybody knows 'HD'. Casual non-technical people recognize it. If only HR was used instead of always spelling out High-Resolution.

yeah but the N64 thing made sense, it was a 64-bit console. If the iPad was called iPod touch HD it'd be the same thing.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Now that the iPhone 4 is out, I must say that I am pleased with the fact that they haven't started using HD to indicated retina display support. I have only seen one application with "HD" in the icon, and it was a football game that I wouldn't have wanted anyway.

I am selling my iPad this week because I don't use it for anything other than surfing the internet while I take a crap, so I don't really care what developers put in their iPad icons and names. As long as it doesn't come over to iPhone 4, have fun with your ugly icons.

:rolleyes:

Ha ha, you just crashed and burned, hard!

1. Proving that I personally pirate the applications does not win you this argument, because pirating the applications doesn't somehow add an "HD" badge in the icon and certainly doesn't add "HD" to the application name and description in the App Store.
2. You pulled that quote completely out of context.
3. I never said in this thread anywhere whether or not I pirated the apps, so "crashed and burned" I have not.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Why is everyone arguing about this ****? The main point is that the 'HD' label branded on half the apps on our iPads just looks ugly. That, no one can dispute. And since developers can have different titles and icons for the installed app on the iPad than what shows in iTunes, it is completely pointless. There's no reason to identify an app as 'HD' when it is installed on an iPad. It would only be useful in the instance that you have an iPhone and iPad version of the same app installed, in which case, why?

Alan Taylor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
Mississauga
Agree with the OP, some other solution is needed.

Same could be said for all the games with that green icon (feint sp?) that signifies that game data can be uploaded to that game server...Get rid of the green icon, it makes all game logos/icons look too similar.

the icon is not the spot to be advertising features.

Actually, part of the developer agreement when using OpenFeint is to include that leaf. It's a branding thing. I was lucky to get my app out of the door when it was only a suggestion.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Isn't there already the "+" icon to denote iPad compatibility? Why not just use something else small to indicate an application that is iPad specific, like a small square or rectangle. Would be nice if these would automatically hide when installed on the iPad though, since it's really only needed when sorting through backed up applications. Or they could simply allow grouping of backed up applications with respect to device, to eliminate the need for all that labeling.

I agree though, the HD, Wifi, Bluetooth monikers covering icons and in application names needs to go. Horribly tacky.

HairyPotter

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
Here's what I replied in that other thread you was complaining in:

Actually, having a 'HD' in the title often helps in identifying it within iTunes for syncing to your device. If you own both an iPhone and an iPad version of an app, it's not apparent which is which before you sync it over, unless the name suggests it. Just my 2p worth.

Granted, it doesn't have to be 'HD' but it's as good as any until Apple sorts out iTunes for identification before you sync, instead of one long messy list of apps. I suppose 'for iPad' also works, but that is also in your complaint, how do devs win?

When I first launched the iPad version of one of my apps, I put the HD on the icon. Then XL. But I soon realized that this would be ridiculous because Apple will eventually add another iPad with bigger resolution and which version would be HD or XL? the current one or the newest. Today I am modifying all my apps to include the term FOR IPHONE or FOR IPAD on the title.

The problem became clear when Apple launched the iPhone 4. As this device has 2 times the resolution of the previous one and almost the resolution of the iPad which one is HD? Even having less pixels, the image on iPhone 4 is crisper than iPad's.

This is a problem difficult to solve.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
When I first launched the iPad version of one of my apps, I put the HD on the icon. Then XL. But I soon realized that this would be ridiculous because Apple will eventually add another iPad with bigger resolution and which version would be HD or XL? the current one or the newest. Today I am modifying all my apps to include the term FOR IPHONE or FOR IPAD on the title.

The problem became clear when Apple launched the iPhone 4. As this device has 2 times the resolution of the previous one and almost the resolution of the iPad which one is HD? Even having less pixels, the image on iPhone 4 is crisper than iPad's.

This is a problem difficult to solve.

for iPhone and for iPad are fine as long as it doesn't say that under the icon once installed.

though, ideally, you'd have just packaged them together in a universal application instead of screwing your customers and making them buy both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.