hd locked

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by subarufreek, Jul 26, 2012.

1. subarufreek macrumors newbie

ok so a friend of mine gave me his old macbook, like late '07 model or so. i wanted to get rid of everything that he had on there(make it new to myself) and in doing so i've managed to lock the hard drive, so now i cant do anything with it, its obviously out of warranty and i dont want to pay apple for something that seems like such an easy fix. please help....

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you got any install media with that MacBook? If not, you can buy the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD via the Apple Online Store or Amazon to do a Clean Install of 10.6 onto the MacBook, thus formatting the internal HDD and erasing any lockings, unless you don't want to reinstall Mac OS X.

3. subarufreek thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a osx disk, however i cant do anything with it because the hard drive is locked and i cant get around it or even boot from the cd drive, sorry its my first mac, im more of a windows guy so im sure its something simple and im just not figuring it out, and i really dont want to pay for something that seems relatively easy to fix.

4. samh macrumors 6502

I don't understand whaty ou mean by "locked" and "cant get around it."

What happens when you try to boot from the optical drive? Please post any error messages that you receive in full.

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Why not ask your 'friend' to give you the password? Something smells a bit off here.

On the off chance that you're legit, hold down the c key while booting to boot from DVD. It takes a while to get going. A 2007 macbook may well have a faulty DVD drive. Mine had. Before it got stolen a few months ago. Hmm.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

it sounds like there's a firmware lock - the previous owner should unlock it for you.