HD malfunction: Invalid Node Structure / 'Sibling Error' - What now?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ReiToei, Mar 12, 2009.

1. ReiToei macrumors newbie

Two days ago my MacBook (OSX10.4) crashed; VLC player froze when I was watching a tv show. I though 'no biggie, happens now and then' and hard-resetted my 'book. Tried opening the file again with Quicktime, again, computer froze up. Waited a couple of minutes, hard-resetted my laptop again. Only this time, the screen got stuck on grey/lightblue-ish screen during boot-up.

Tried a lot but couldn't get my MacBook up and running again. Started up with the OSX cd popped in and went to Disc Utility. Mac then told me there was a 'Invalid Node Structure' and that 'The volume could not be repaired'. During a third or fourth start-up this changed to Mac saying there was a'sibling error'.

I checked some sources online, figured out this should be something fixable. One possible option was Disk Warrior. Supposed to be *the* tool with problems like these. I replaced my malfunctioning HD, put an old HD in my MacBook, reinstalled OSX and put the malfunctioning HD in a stand-alone case and connected it too my MacBook. As we speak DW is busy rebuilding the directory but it has been doing so for over a day now. I've read online that it can take a couple of days though. My HD is 250Gb with 30Gb empty space when it went kaput.

Now, there seem to be a couple of other alternative options. These lads talk about Tech Tool Pro - apparantly some other program that could help: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1635594&tstart=406

Then there's a couple suggestions/methods mentioned online that either involve booting up in single-user mode and type some code (http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/149925/help-invalid-node-structure-repair-fails/ ) or do something alike in Terminal: http://mahalkita.nanogeex.com/2007/09/28/how-to-fix-the-invalid-sibling-link- error/

Has anyone ever had their HD act up like this? Any experience/recommendations regarding the programs/methods mentioned above? I'm pretty new with Mac (used PCs for ages, switched to Mac quite recently) and I'm kinda at wit's end here :/. I was in the process of backing up my stuff, but there's a boatload of data on that HD that I hadn't archive yet.

I apologize for any possibly vague/unclear choice of words; English isn't my first language.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, I've experienced similar problems with an iBook. DiskWarrior saved the data on it, but it didn't take THAT long to rebuild the directory - 45 minutes was all it needed.

3. ReiToei thread starter macrumors newbie

Smaller HD/less data perhaps? I've read some rapports of people's HD's taking days. DW lacks a more precize way of indicating what it exactly is doing and how much time it thinks it will take, which is unfortunate. It only sporadically tells me it's going to go slower and slower due to errors in the directory.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Both smaller HD and less data.