HD Memory

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sanjanov, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Sanjanov macrumors newbie

Hi!

For some reason every few days I end up by deleting several photos and music files from my old mac mini because it's filling up the memory with God knows what.. I suppose this might sound like trolling for some of you, but im dead serious here- All i do is surf the internet and at the end i end up with 20mb to no free memory on my HD (out of 37GB total), cant launch any program but system profiler.

Can someone explain this and is it happening with all the macs?
    Thank you

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Are you talking about hard drive space or memory? They are not the same thing. Memory is your systems RAM.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you talking about hard drive or RAM (RAM = memory). 20MB of free RAM is normal if you don't have much RAM

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

I think with 37GB total is is talking about HD space. An errant log file or cache is sometimes the culprit. An app such as WhatSize may help locate the problem file(s). There may also be a free alternative. Dunno.

WhatSize

5. Sanjanov thread starter macrumors newbie

HD memory is what im talking about. The point is that out of total 37GB memory I have around 100mb free space left and every day it gets filled with something I can't possibly imagine what since the only thing I'm doing is browsing net.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Delete some files then. you should have at least few GBs of free space. 100MB is easily used by swap file.