HD movie playback on 2015 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iPhone7s, Feb 22, 2016.

1. iPhone7s macrumors member

Hi all,

Just noticed this on the HD section of iTunes for films (see attached screenshot)

Is this just an outdated message, advising that people need 2.0 GHz or faster processor?

I have been playing some HD content on iTunes but find that sometimes its slightly out of sync.

-

How have you all found HD playback on your rMB's?

I have the 1.3GHz model by the way.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. xxnoelziexx macrumors member

Don't have a MacBook but currently looking at buying the same clock speed. The 1.3GHz Dual-Core Intel Core M, Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz so HD content should be fine.

3. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

I watched an HD movie on my 1.2GHz MacBook just this weekend. It played very well so you should have no issues

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

It's an outdated message. "dual-core 2.0GHz" is pretty meaningless, really. Your 1.3Ghz Core M dual-core is way faster than a 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo dual-core.

HD playback is pretty uncontroversial and kids' stuff for any current CPU.

5. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

2.0 GHz or faster processor cavet, is for older systems. The new rMB will decode much of the video content in hardware, my own 1.2 plays very high bitrate MKV files (>20Gb) with ease.

Q-6

7. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I'm almost certain the Core M support GPU decoding of 1080p H.264 10 bit video so the videos on iTunes are nothing compared to what it's capable of.

8. asoksevil macrumors 6502

4K YouTube videos works.

I still need to try out a 4K MKV video but I would say it's totally able to play it.

9. iPhone7s thread starter macrumors member

I'm finding using MKV 1080p files on VLC player that the audio/video are out of sync ever so slightly. Same with Netflix on Safari as well at times.