HD movie player

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Huiu, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Huiu macrumors member

Since there are so many different movie players for mac I do not know which one offers the best quality. I have used VLC media player in the past but often the HD quality is not fine. Which player would you recommend for mac?

2. switon, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

switon macrumors 6502a

RE: HD video players...

Hi Huiu,

Wow, one doesn't often hear the line about there being so many alternatives on the Mac, more typically it is that there is only a single Mac app with many PC alternatives. But you are right in this case, you do have choices for video players on the Mac.

I think you might find that the latest version of VLC works better than its earlier versions for HD videos ... I find that it works well with 1080p videos, for instance. I know the other standard Linux video players, such a MPlayer, also have good reputations under Mac OS X. While I have downloaded the MPlayerX.app, I find that I generally stick with VLC or Apple's own DVD Player.app.

If you are playing just Apple's formats, such as MOV, the QuickTime Player.app works well for HD videos.

Regards,
    Switon

P.S. You might think about posting this in the video-specific forum, as I'm sure that they will have other opinions.