HD movie rentals on itunes UK

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Spandexman, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Spandexman macrumors regular

How do I find HD movie rentals on itunes? I can't find them not on Apple TV. Do they exist?

2. Spandexman thread starter macrumors regular

3. GilesM macrumors 6502

Hello, yes, there are loads of HD movies available from the UK store via Apple TV.
    All you need to do is go to the 'HD' section of the movies menu from the Apple TV.
    Also, if you select any particular movie, the iTunes store will tell you if a HD version is available.
    I must have seen 3 or 4 movies this was this month alone.
    If you do not have an Apple TV in then HD will no show up as an option when viewing iTunes store on your computer.

The itunes store needs to now that you have Apple TV before it will offer you HD movies. Not sure if this works because you have already registered your Apple TV against your itunes account or if the iTunes store somehow detects your Apple TV.

4. Spandexman thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I see, so you can't rent HD movies if you don't have Apple TV? How annoying. That seems pretty stupid to me. I would definitely pay extra for an HD movie, but not the £230 it costs for Apple TV AS WELL as the extra per film. Is this the same in all countries? I can only imagine they'll change that pretty soon, especially as they refuse to incorporate a blu-ray drive in their computers because they think the future is downloads! :mad:

5. GilesM macrumors 6502

The issue here is that Apple are tying you in to using their hardware (i.e. Apple TV ) for renting HD movies.
    Even though an iMac would be perfectly capable of playing HD movies.

The issue here is the over zealous control policies of Apple.