HD movies for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jull, Dec 18, 2010.

1. jull macrumors member

jull

Hi all! I was just wondering, has anyone seen a HUGE difference between a regular movie and an HD movie from the iTunes store? I am thinking about buying a couple of HD movies and I noticed that all the HD movies are more expensive. I am willing to pay more for them but only if they are really worth it. Thoughts?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I don't know that you would see much of a difference with the iPad, as the resolution prevents an actual HD resolution from being used.

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

If iTunes supplies SD movies in the same resolution than a old DVD movie, then I'd be very surprised if you can see any difference on the iPads screen.

In letterbox mode, which I'd imagine is what people would normally use as otherwise you lose what's either side of the screen, you only get a resolution of 1024x575 to watch a 16:9 screen, and many films are narrower, less vertical pixels than that.

A NTSC DVD resolution is 720x480
    A PAL DVD resolution is 720 x 576

So there's not a bad match for a standard old DVD to fit perfectly.

I don't think there are really enough dots to appreciate the difference on the iPad.

Of course, if we assume the iPad will at some point get a better screen then your HD purchase could be enjoyed at it's proper res/detail

You may have to wait a few years though ;)

4. big samm macrumors 65816

Personally I can see a difference... Not a huge one but it's noticeable... There's a lot of free videos in hd to download on iTunes.... And since when you download a hd movie you also get the sd version... So from there you can compare and see for yourself...

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Does it say anywhere what the SD from iTunes actually is?