HD Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by panoman, Apr 16, 2012.

1. panoman macrumors newbie

Hello
    My first time here ...been reading a lot in here.
    I'm using late 2011 macbook pro.
    I have it from January and all this time it was noiseless.
    Yesterday I partitioned my 500GB HD with bootcamp and installed win7.
    250GB for lion and same for win7.
    Now my HD have this mechanic noise when it working ...sometimes even when I not opening any app or files.
    On my mac partition I using only 26GB ...on win7 nothing yet besides the win itself.

Can it be the partitions that cause to all this noise?
    Any idea how to fix it?

thanks

2. /user/me macrumors 6502

More details would be much appreciated. :) what kind of noise is it making? Is it making it constantly or intermittently, does it only occur when you're writing files, saving, opening documents, downloading, ect. Are you keeping regular backups?

3. panoman thread starter macrumors newbie

Noise that you will hear from a very old drive that 3/4 full and note fragmented...like the heads is searching for files on cylinder.
    When I lunch app and run files its more "loud"...but when I do nothing its still blips.
    I even tried to hoover with mouse to hear if it increase the movement on the drive but basically it not doing that.
    The thing is it was dead silent before the bootcamp.
    No I can hear it ...of cause when is silent around.
    I'm afraid that it will increase with time and even will died on me.
    I did two backups before bootcamp.One with CCC and another with time machine.
    Its basically still an empty drive I only use maybe 40GB in total.
    Thanks for the help.

4. /user/me macrumors 6502

Hmm, from what I know of hard drives - and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong MR, that noise might be annoying, but somewhat normal. You said that it was silent before you installed W7 on it, so it could just be that because of how your drive is set up now, the heads have to move more. If it's not making the noise constantly, it's not a head crash, so it hasn't failed. I'm thinking that regular backups and time will be the order of the day?

5. panoman thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe it is normal.
    I don't know ...i tried to fragment the drive with demo idefrag.
    I will give some time to see where its gonna go.
    Weird anyway..the drive practically still empty.

6. /user/me macrumors 6502

With OSX's file system it doesn't fragment as easily as Windows, and it has maintenance scripts that run in the background in the even that your drive does get fragmented. You don't need an extra defragging utility.

7. panoman thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I want to figure out ....maybe this is because of the win7 side of the drive. Cause everything was died silent before.
    The only reason I added win7 because of music programs I have and want to migrate my old music projects to mac.

8. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

Your mac partition may be indexing the windows drive, and phoning home. Possibly give it some more time.

Using a demo version (idefrag, or any) isn't the wisest move when making significant changes.

9. panoman thread starter macrumors newbie

idefrag already gone.
    will wait to see how its going to turn.
    thanks

10. panoman thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that I found the cause for the problem.
    Can it be that when time machine on but no external drive hooked ,it will "work" the drive cause its still making backups?