HD onto desktop

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nyroger, Jan 13, 2014.

1. nyroger macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Have a recently purchased iMac upgraded to Maverick OS. :D An oddity with Maverick is the HD does not appear on the desktop. It is in the sidebar but when I attempt to move it to the desktop I get the message "The folder “Macintosh HD” can’t be moved into one of its subfolders.":mad: Why this move away from standard Mac practices and how do I overcome it? Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the Desktop
    [​IMG]

Since the Desktop is a folder inside Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / , simply dragging the Macintosh HD (a volume in this case) onto a sub folder of it, will not work.
    I do not know, how you think, that this would be a standard practice in Mac OS X, since I never could do so in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger nor Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard nor Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard nor OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I haven't had a hard drive on the desktop in OS X for 8 or 10 years, I suppose.
    It's just a Finder setting.

Click on the Finder menu, then Preferences.
    Click the box "Hard Disks" under "Show these items on the desktop."

was standard for Mac OS, but, I think has always been a setting that you can turn off in OS X...

4. nyroger thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem resolved

Thanks to simsaladimbamba and DeltaMac for resolving my problem. Seriously I'm surprised this solution didn't come to mind. Thanks again.