Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

God^Cent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
So my 24" screen is full 1080p res correct? Then why isn't it common since for apple to put a hd or blue-ray drive into the iMac by default, is it too slow of a drive to be plausible as the only dvd/cd drive on the computer? And, what I also would like to know is what is the easiest/cheapest way to add a hd drive (probably through usb) and is there any way I could hook up my xbox 360 to the iMac and play in true 1080p resolution? Thanks:D

Not-a-cliche

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
The 24 inch is over 1080p so 1080p movies do work. I don't know if the 360 drive works, but the reason Apple don't shove Blu-Ray or HD DVD in there is because the format war is still raging. Apple support Blu-Ray, but if they put a Blu-Ray in there and HD DVD wins the format war, Apple will be completely burned. There are dual format players, but do you really want a $2,000 price increase?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
The 24 inch is over 1080p so 1080p movies do work. I don't know if the 360 drive works, but the reason Apple don't shove Blu-Ray or HD DVD in there is because the format war is still raging. Apple support Blu-Ray, but if they put a Blu-Ray in there and HD DVD wins the format war, Apple will be completely burned. There are dual format players, but do you really want a $2,000 price increase?

I think $2000 is overstating it a bit ... well a lot (even for dual players).

You can configure a Dell XPS 410 with Blu-Ray for $350 over the cost of a DVD burner

The main problem is there are not even any slot-loading Blu-Ray drives, never mind slot-loading Blu-Ray burners. Dell can throw a second drive into that XPS so you get BR playback and a DVD burner. There's no room in the iMac or any other Mac apart from the Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.