HD or partition failed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Random14, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Random14 macrumors member

My Mac partition seems to have died somehow. It had been freezing occasionally when I was watching streaming videos (followed by loud screeching noises from somewhere in the computer) but usually just turning it on and off and it was back to normal. Tried Verify/Repair Disk (and everything was moving very slowly by then) and that said to go put in the Install disc, and the disc said to save what I can and reformat and reload my files. :(

The funny thing is my Windows partition seems to still be working. When I set that as the startup disk the computer starts up fine and I played at least a few minutes of an online game with no problems.

So when they say reformat, does that mean it'll reformat the Windows partition too? I have a time machine backup from... last week I think, so I'll use that, just hope the computer doesn't fail partway through and corrupt the backup, only have one current backup. Mac files are still accessible in Bootcamp mode at least.

Not sure if the hard drive failed, or something got corrupted. I think I have one of those seagate drives so maybe I should take it in to be replaced, just that moving a 27" isn't convenient to say the least. Either that or wait for them to someday (tomorrow or who knows when) to announce new Imac models and hope my Applecare will replace it with a new model but that's unlikely.

Sorry to ramble, but guess my basic question comes down to- reformat and hope Windows is fine (yes, its Windows, but setting up my Bootcamp partition again is a hassle I hope to avoid) or just take it into a Genius Bar and let them sort it out (and maybe replace the Seagate while they're at it)?

2. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

You should be able to format the OSX partition without touching the Windows one. However, if it is a hardware failure of the drive, i wouldn strongly suggest replacing it (in which case you will have no option but to set up Bootcamp/Windows again)

3. Random14 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I'm afraid of. Hm, any way to tell if its just corrupted or a hard drive failure? Maybe I'll go back to Disk Utility and see if it can confirm which one it is.

On the other hand, there is that Seagate replacement thing going, so now might be as good a time as any.

Oh yeah, its a mid-2010 27" Imac running Snow Leopard, just to be clear. Still fond of it, but if it just a hard drive replacement, that's not such a big deal, relatively speaking (just as long as my Time Machine backup works, unless I end up stuck with Lion now after a replacement).