HD Partition Failed, Changing HD to SSD..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bones85, Dec 8, 2014.

1. bones85, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

bones85 macrumors newbie

So i'm trying to copy everything from my HD to my SSD so i can then swap them over as my HD i think is dying

i've formatted my SSD and i came to the point of restoring from HD to SSD, only i can't partition my HD, to begin with i was getting failed because verification failed, but i managed to get past that but now i'm getting this :

Partition failed

Partition failed with the error:

The partition cannot be resized. Try reducing the amount of change in the size of the partition.

How can i get round this? The HD is a 500GB HD but i've only used 100GB, and the SSD is 260GB

Would i be better off just installing os x straight on to the SSD? At least that way i would get a fresh install? But then i'd just have to manually copy things over like music,videos, pictures etc from HD to SSD

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Just do a clean install.

3. bones85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I've installed Yosemite on the ssd and it said it needed to restart, it's restarted and I get to the Apple screen with a loading bar, it progresses to a certain point and then just completley reboots again!
    When I try boot in Drive mode to select the ssd to boot from, the ssd isn't even there!

What's gone wrong?

4. bones85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't matter all done! Fresh install on the ssd and its running perfect!

Just need to get all my music, pictures etc from my hdd

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Use migration assistant....

you can choose what to move accross with that.

6. bones85 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, well most my photos have carried over on my photo stream so it's just music n that!

So happy it's all sorted now