HD partitioned into 2 need to fix it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SR 7, Jan 14, 2016.

1. SR 7 macrumors regular

1) For those that buy a used Mac, what are the steps you take to make it a completely new device? For example, do you do a clean wipe of the Hard Drive or other steps as well?

2) Also, do I need to install El Capitan on a bootable disc such as an external hard drive before I do a couple wipe of my Hard Drive?

3) So the HD has 2 partitions, 1 for boot camp and the other for mac, since I want to wipe the mac as it is just to make sure it is completely fresh and clean without any other previous apps or anything of that nature, do I just do a complete restore or is it a 2 step process for example, remove the partition first THEN do a wipe?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If I bought a used Mac I'd restore it. If it was a 2010 or newer model, I'd just use internet recovery.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Internet recovery will do everything you need.

Delete both partitions, create a new one and format. Then install.

3. SR 7 thread starter macrumors regular

Its a late 2013.

delete both meaning even the Mac partition? How do I delete that then create a new one if you don't mind, thanks! appreciate it.

by the way, does restore mean clean install? or restore means it wipes the WHOLE HD and starts fresh so if ANYTHING was installed by the previous owner it would be gone.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I suggest you peruse Apple's website and read through help articles regarding disk utility and internet recovery.

From the recovery partition, in disk utility you can merge both partitions, wipe them clean and install a fresh copy of OS X on the computer, essentially setting it up as a new computer.

5. SR 7 thread starter macrumors regular

I did "erase" the boot camp and extended the partition into the mac one but I didn't erase the mac one either, didn't think i needed to...but if I do erase it, won't I lose the computer in an essense since the OS is on that partition?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

It doesn't matter. If you had read the link a previous poster gave you (from your answer I guess you have not) the OS is downloaded from the internet. You could technically pop a completely blank, brand new and unformatted SSD and still be able to install the OS. That's the whole point of internet recovery.

You want your computer to be in a blank, as new state, yes? Then you need to format the disk and install from scratch and that's that.

7. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Yes, if you erase your Mac partition then all data is gone.
    Here are some instructions I found by googling for "remove bootcamp from mac":
    https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/#/bcmp59c41c31
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1156195/delete_boot_camp.html
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/05/09/remove-windows-boot-camp-partition-mac/

8. SR 7 thread starter macrumors regular

so i finally got it down and erased the HD and exited the disk utility screen and did a reinstall of the OS. Up and running now so I suppose everything is good to go as far as it being as new as it gets without any data possibly on it.

One observation though, the HD had 3 more gb of data on it prior to me erasing and reinstalling the HD but my question is this; if the computer was restored (which it was from what I can see) prior to me receiving it, wouldn't the space in the HD match what it is now after i did the erase and reinstall?

For ex: under my restore it has lets say 487 gb free with 13 used, would it be the same before I did it? because it was at 484 gb free and 16 used so wondering what there could have been on this device that took up 3 gb because i found nothing when i was looking...

9. omarsha macrumors newbie

I strongly believe when you erase or format hard drive, the old data changed to a state that nobody can use or recover those (depends on how you erase) sometimes 7 pass erase or military grade erase etc. But still old data resides in the hard drive as a special format which holds some space and I believe your lost 3 GB contains those old data.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry that makes no sense at all. Reformatting doesn't move the old data somewhere .

Reformatting rebuilds the index of where files will be placed, and so technically the old data is still there, until disk operations start over-writing the data. That's why disk recovery programs and services and retrieve data. As time goes on the odds are less and less that it can be done as the data is over-written.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are some cache files and also some disk area used for swap space that gets wiped when you erase and reinstall, and that would easily account for the difference.