HD Partitioning problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yordanov1990, Feb 10, 2013.

1. yordanov1990 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am trying to install windows on My MacBook Air 2012. I reached the partitioning step, but I it told me that it is not possible because 'some files cannot be moved' and that I have to back up the disk and use disk utility to format it to 'extended(journaled)', but my HD is already in that format. I tried to fix it with DiskUtility, but nothing happened. I found some info that I have to use original disk to fix it, but Airs dont have original CDs. Please help me I would really appreciate it.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I'll try to help, even though I'm not a BootCamp user.

I'm wondering if you had a lot of stuff on the internal SSD before you tried to partition it. It's possible that some files might be occupying that area of the SSD where the partition would be created, thus "blocking" the operation from taking place.

If I had your MacBook in my hands, what I would try to do is this:

1. Get an external drive large enough to hold the contents of the Macbook Air's internal SSD
    2. Use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the contents of the internal SSD to the backup drive.
    3. Once done, boot from the backup drive (do this by restarting. As soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears. Then select the backup drive and continue)
    4. Once booted from the backup drive, re-initialize the internal SSD
    5. Now, "RE-clone" the contents of the backup drive BACK TO the internal SSD.

During the re-cloning process, the files are copied continguously back to the internal drive, removing any fragmentation that might have been present. When finished, you will have all the files on the internal SSD "together", with a large area of "free space" "behind" them. You can then try BootCamp again, and chances are it won't have the problems you're currently experiencing.

3. yordanov1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

You know, i tried something easier. I went to the startup menu and i fixed it using disk utility. When I tried to fix it by opening it from application I couldn't, but under startup the fix was completed and I installed the windows. Now I have another problem, when I turn on the laptop it does not ask me whether I should start it under MacOS or Windows. Thus, every time I want to switch the OS I have to go to startup and then swtich it and then the booting starts. PFfff. Do you know how can I make this 'choosing screen' apear so I can choose between MacOS or Windows?