Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khoatranhuevn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
HD Player is available for Apple TV now.
Let's enjoy your full hd videos with surround audio on your Apple TV.

Video resolution:
• H264, H264 10-bit, HEVC, HEVC 10-bit, VC1, VP8, VP9: up to Full HD (1920x1080).
• Other codecs: up to HD (1280x720).

Features:
• Support most of video and audio codecs.
• Support Dolby Digital (AC3) and Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) audio.
• HD Player is highly optimised for 64-bit processor.
• Great 3D videos playback.
• Multi-core decoding.
• SSA subtitle is fully supported.
• Save the video exit time, so it can start playing from beginning or where left off.

Compatible 3D glasses:
• Red-Cyan, Green-Magenta or Amber-Blue (Colorcode).

Check it out on Apple TV App Store.

sunsetrunner

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
CA
I purchased it right after I found out it lets us use the internal storage for uploading videos! That's a great feature! It plays flawless all my files and subtitle support is also promising. One question though. I didn't have enough time to try it out yet. Does it really support playing HEVC (x265) files?

khoatranhuevn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
HD Player supports playing HEVC & HEVC 10-bit (x265) files up to Full HD resolution.
HEVC in MKV format is recommended.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I wonder how it does this on tvOS. I mean where does it store the videos. And how many can you store. Can it use a big chunk of you 64gb storage. If so pretty interesting. The description in the Apple TV App Store is not clear at all.

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
It seems that Apple allowed initial download to 200Mb for ATV4 apps, but app resources could go up to 2Gb , I think. So that's that. And so the "size" in settings/app menagement means absolutely nothing.

sunsetrunner

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
CA
I don't know about per file limit but I uploaded GBs of movies to HD Player's local storage and I didn't have any problem. On webUI page which is totally outdated it even shows the remaining disk space of your Apple TV. Local storage&HEVC support is definitely worth to try!

20itc0n.jpg

sunsetrunner

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
CA
Hey, does it support srt subtitles? How about weird codepage (eastern europe, etc.)?

Yep, it supports .SRT format for subtitles as you can see from my screenshot. And it also supports many different subtitle encodings including Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Greek, Chinese etc.

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
That's awesome! I saw that it said it supports ssmi or something so I thought no srt, when i saw your screenshot, I thought, wait, why would he upload srt... So great! Thanks.

a.coward

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
How do you activate it? I dug through the menus but didn't see anything.

(I noticed MacBreak weekly mentioned an unnamed feature of it last week, but then didn't specify it)

Gary

It's the "Remote Player" feature, if I'm not mistaken. It really meant for a user to "push" a movie located on a remote computer with a web browser (the movie starts playing immediately). However, it will cache the movie and allow you to play it later after the transfer is complete.

BTW: As others have mentioned in the VLC for Apple TV thread, VLC from the App Store will not decode nor passthrough multi-channel AC3/DTS audio. So, if your files only have these audio tracks you will either need to transcode the audio tracks of your files, or compile and sideload VLC from the source code (the source code has decoding enabled).

Last edited:

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
On that note, there is a newcomer app "PDF to TV" that lets you store the same way and read PDFs on your ATV4.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Vlc got that upload option
AWESOME! I got it to work.
Most of the samples I tried don't want to start playing until fully uploaded but it's working for me (except for those with the non-compatible audio).

I'd be interested to know how long things really stay there. I'm going to leave some files during the next software update and see if they hand around. I'd assume if they survive that, that they'll stay around until space is really needed!

Thanks again,
Gary

Last edited:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
AWESOME! I got it to work.
Most of the samples I tried don't want to start playing until full uploaded but it's working for me (except for those with the non-compatible audio).

I'd be interested to know how long things really stay there. I'm going to leave some files during the next software update and see if they hand around. I'd assume if they survive that, that they'll stay around until space is really needed!

Thanks again,
Gary
Do you know what the limit is? How many and how much storage?

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Do you know what the limit is? How many and how much storage?

No idea of the limit.

I uploaded about 4 GB in 10+ files (AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV, MTS, MPG) and they all have hung around even after the tvOS update that I just ran. Gives audio warnings on some and doesn't play, a few just didn't play the audio but most worked.

Also, I added a 2 GB DVD IMG file that played fine-ish; menus didn't work but it let me fast-forward past all the menu animations to the actual video (and the other previous files seem fine still); it was only DVD quality but I thought it upscaled to my 55" TV pretty good.

I've got 40+ GB free on my AppleTV 4, so it's not like it needs the space.
On the other hand Asphalt 8: Airborne always feels like it's reloading levels and doesn't keep much around.

Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.