HD pocket camcorder reviews/advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by laumeikiang, May 2, 2010.

1. laumeikiang macrumors newbie

Looking to get an HD pocket camera for an upcoming trip to Africa. I have to pack light so I'm thinking I will purchase a pocket HD camera. I'm looking for one with great image and preferably better than 2x optical zoom, although it doesn't seem like many are out there. I've read the kodak zi8 has a great image, but it's rather thick and bulky. And of course the mino flip was mentioned for it's video quality. I also can't decide whether a small internal memory capacity is better than external SDHC card memory. Anyone have any ideas, experience with the cameras or words of wisdom?

2. BenK01 macrumors newbie

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Forget the Flip. If you are going to be out in the bush or climbing Kili, then you won't have a way to download the footage and re-charge the battery. You definitely need a camera with a removable battery so you can bring fully charged spares. Likewise, you need one with a removable SD card so you can bring spare cards.

The Kodak Zi8 is a bit bigger than the Flip Mino, but it's still pretty small. Certainly lightweight and very easy to carry around. And the reviews seem to be much better than the Flip. Better picture quality and sound, and it does 1080p.

You might instead consider bringing a digital point-and-shoot camera that does HD video, negating the need to carry both.

Whatever you do, just make sure you have spare batteries and SD cards.

4. roslee7 macrumors regular

i am using a canon ixus 100 with HD 720P video. The video is awesome. At least u can change the SD card and the battery. Its pretty small and they came out with latest model. u can see the video in my youtube? i convert to apple tv so that it upload faster. But the original raw video of 1280x720 damn good. check this video. http://www.youtube.com/user/roslee7

5. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N70-3 Ireland-Opera: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I love my Kodak zi8.
    So many more essisntial features over the Flips made me choose it.

6. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I just ordered a Kodak ZX3 Playsport, which has the same internals as the Zi8 but in a smaller and waterproof enclosure. Reviews thus far have been very good. It is ruggedized, so it might stand up better to travel in Africa. Also, it's cheaper than the Zi8 - I got mine for $130 from Amazon - and it has a slightly better field of vision. I don't have my unit yet so I can't comment on quality, ease of use, etc., but you might want to consider it.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube taken with it, and they all look pretty good.

7. Taximan macrumors newbie

Consider Point and shoot

I use Canon sd 780 is it is amazing for HD video sound is the one weak point but the flexibility of great photos and video swapping battery and cards very helpful. The camera is discontinued so it is on sale if that bothers you check out current models. I always have the camera in my pocket. My other video camera is a sony z1 video in good lighting very close.

8. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I can vouch for the Playsport. I've had mine about a month and am happy with it. It's a bit smaller than the Zi8 but the video is just as good. The bonus (and something that might be good for you) is that it's pretty rugged and water proof up to around 3 meters. Removable battery and SDHC card as well. The two negatives for me are no optical zoom (but I don't expect it in a 150 dollar camera) and no external mic. The sound so far has been surprisingly good though. My personal opinion is the 720p 60fps of the Playsport is better than the 1080p on it and other pocket cameras. That might be a plus for you as well in Africa. I'd venture the ruggedness and the 60fps might be just what you need on safari. (minus optical zoom of course).

If you are hoping to video animals that may be far off then this is an entirely different conversation and I'd probably suggest a DSLR that shoots video. That way you'd have it all in one.

Enjoy the trip.

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

FYI: There is no need to charge the Flip, you can use AA batteries in it if you want.

10. spice weasel macrumors 65816

In the Mino? I thought this was only the case for the original Ultra.

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

I guess I have the Ultra then. :eek:

12. julesw macrumors member

julesw

mino/ultra

CAn't speak for the Zi8 but know a bit about the Flips

Both the UltraHD and MinoHD 120’s have:

nice anti-glare 2in screens.
    HDMI out.
    rechargeable Lithium batteries. You can use a power adaptor or charge via USB on your PC.
    128 x 720 pixels resolution.
    the same sensor.

The UltraHD 120 mins:

has 2.5 hours of use between charges (Mino has 2 hours).
    is heavier, weighing in at 6.0 oz (Mino is 4.1 oz).
    has a removable AA battery pack which means if you have 2 battery packs you can keep shooting whilst one charges. (The Mino HD can also charge via USB or a power adaptor but this ties the camera up when you charge).
    is cheaper than the Mino (£50 less in the UK / $29 less in the US)

The Flip MinoHD 120 mins:

can focus closer (0.8m) compared to UltraHD (1.5m).
    can be customised with designer graphics and your own design at Flip store (US only).
    is available in nice looking brushed silver!

hope your trip goes well, agree you need a DSLR to capture animals

jules