HD post production set up?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by crunxy, Nov 14, 2007.

1. crunxy macrumors newbie

crunxy

Hi I posted in the mac pro section about this but if you make movies and you haven't read it there can you indulge me for posting this here, and help me?:

Basically I need to edit HDV, and want a set up where I can edit uncompressed HD (can you edit 4k hd footage on a MacPro?) esp. for when the big HD cameras become accessible. Okay, if not that, at least HDV/DVCPRO HD in FCP, with Logic and Shake running smoothly. Any suggestions?

Mac Pro configuration (waiting for Penryn):
    at least 3GHz, at least 8Gb Ram (1gb x 8 because 2gb x 4 is 1K more and I am hoping that when technology requires me to have more than 8gs ram I should be able buy a new Mac, no?) ATI Radeon 512mb
    Bay 1 750 GB (2 LCDs and other external hDDS from elsewhere)

1. do I need a Raid Card? (expensive!)
    Can I have the 750gb as software, and keep all media/video files on external hardrives (no project would individually have more than 1tb/750gb in storage requirements, yet, so for each project I can just plug and access and do an online edit, or no? is a 2gb ram stick advantages in speed over a 1gb due to its physical make-up?, does a 2gb take up 1 slot? or 2?)
    2. should I fill three other bays with 750gb? (expensive!...but quality)
    (as above, won't lots and lots of external hardrives do? This would mean endless expansion as there is no link between the media/source drives)
    3. Intensity Card: do I need one?
    (I am think of a tapless HDD to HDD workflow, so P2 cards/firefire connectsion/portable eg Sony media HDDS, and reviewing on two LCDS, that is all the visual output require for me to edit...)
    4. Get 2 Superdrives? That way I can burn double layer dvds faster?
    5. HD playback/rendering/grading/compositing/sound design...would I be better off with a bigger boot drive so that it runs smoother ie RAID the internal BAYS 1&2 or 1 to 4?
    6. A better graphics card? get RAM from somewhere else? (but I've never opened up a Mac) Where does the RAID card go: if I get it later is it easy to put in? Raid card from somewhere else, any names? Thank you!

2. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What is your budget? I ask because if you are looking for something to on-line uncompressed HD as well as audio mixing you are looking for a setup costing 10's of thousands of dollars.

Lethal

4. crunxy thread starter macrumors newbie

crunxy

Cheers Lethal! I would like to budget around 8,000-9,000 not including monitors/ audio interface or software. When you say expensive, where are all those dollars heading towards? Processor or Ram? or Raid?

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you are just looking at a Mac Pro plus storage plus I/O hardware for uncompressed up to 2k you could squeeze in for $9k (not including tax) but you'd have to cut some corners. A common setup would look something like this:
    Octo-core Mac Pro w/x1900 upgrade is about $4300.
    8gig RAM from Crucial is about $1300
    Caldigit HDPro 2TB RAID is about $3000 (about 2hrs of uncompressed 1080i HD)
    AJA Kona 3 I/O card is about $2700

Once you add in the computer monitors, HD b'cast monitor, audio monitors, HD video scope, software packages, elements to make your work space sound dampened and color neutral, etc., things start to add up. There's also misc things like cabling, surge protectors/battery back-ups, etc., that you should factor in as well.

Having a better idea of your specific needs are would help w/making more relevant recommendations. Saying you want to edit HDV and Uncompressed 4k (which really isn't viable right now) is like saying you are looking to buy a Ford Focus, but you are also thinking about a Ferrari.:p It's a pretty wide range w/pretty different requirements.

I'd suggest contacting a good reseller like PromMax or a Mike Curtis recommended system from Silverado. For the amount of money you are looking to spend they'll make sure you get what you need and will probably be able to give you a discount too because of the size of the order.

Lethal