HD Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CGGuy84, Apr 13, 2012.

1. CGGuy84 macrumors newbie

Hello guys,
    I have a startup problem with my Mac lately. I bought a new HDD a few months ago and installed MacOsX. But now it takes about 30 min (loading bar in grey screen) to startup because of an hd problem. When i try to fix it, I'm gettin the "Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files." message.

I somehow found a way to Backup all my files and they're safe now. The question is; is this an hardware problem or is it possible that I'll get the same error later again after a reformat? Or should I send it to the service before the Warranty runs out?

Thanks a lot...:apple:

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ive only ever got that message on external hard drives usually when i unplug a few times without ejecting, a format always fixes that message from appearing, if you backuped just do a clean install no harm in trying if its hardware that message will be back soon enough, unless you have like 5 days left on the warranty i would try this first

3. CGGuy84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I just took an exact copy of the partition and restored it to my other Hdd. Connected it to my Mac and then I saw that it has the same problem. After changing the HD again I tried to repair the disk and this time it worked. It's fixed.

I guess I didn't install the Hdd properly before :/

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Not necessarily. They can develop problems like that over time.