HD questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by irishgrizzly, Sep 2, 2007.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

WD Raptor X 150GB V WD Raptor 150GB, what's the difference?

I'm thinking of my future mac pro setup, I do mostly print graphics and a bit of gaming on the side. Can you say if this setup would be any good?

2 Raptor 75's in Raid0 for boot disk + all apps.

Stock 250 drive for all files.

(I already have an external Seagate 320 for backup)

I was thinking the smaller the better for the boot Raptors – less seek time and fragmentation – would this be right? I could get everything on to their 32GB drives.

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Actually the opposite is the case. The larger the drive (assuming the same number of platters) the denser the data is, and therefore the better the seek time.

The fastest access possible comes from buying the highest rotational speed and the largest drive you can and then using as little of the space as possible. This reduces the amount of head travel necessary, minimizes the average wait for the right sector to appear beneath the heads, and maximizes the quantity of data that can be read each rotation.

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The X one has a transparent side panel so you can see the insides of the drive. Though this also supposedly makes the drive louder. Apart from the panel the drives are identical.

4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Yeah, and a Raptor with a Window in it won't do you any good in a Mac Pro anyhow...

Some of those larger drives are actually giving the Raptors a run for their money. I've got a 74 gig Raptor in my PC, but I'll probably sell it and go with the 400 and 500 gig I have now, and an additional 500 gig and call it good. 1.65 terabytes won't be too bad.

5. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Does anyone use the setup I asked about? Can you recommend it?