Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

landi.erik

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
San Diego
Hey everyone I watch tv via a HD satellite receiver and have component out on the receiver. I was wondering if there is a product that would allow me to record HDTV from the receiver with component out. I have seen products like the eyetv hybrid, tv recorder but it only records over the air HDTV (Via an antenna). Also if there is a windows solution I would be happy to hear about it (I am running windows vista on my intel Imac and have leopard).

marcinsf

Suspended
Jul 4, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
HD Recording with a Mac

I've been searching for quite some time for a HD video input source for my Mac.

I have a Mac Mini Core duo connected to my 50" plasma screen. My Mac Mini receives HD broadcast TV via my HD antenna and my Miglia TvMiniHD. I have component and rgb out from my HD satellite receiver. Currently, I'm recording standard resoluution via my VHS recording and s-video out from the satellite box.

What I'm looking for is an HD input device for my Mac Mini that EyeTV can record from. I talked to Elgato and Miglia. They both say that the HD signal is encoded. However, it isn't encoded coming from the satellite box via the rgb connection. So, theorectically it should be possible to use the HD satellite output via a 'set-top-box' setup on EyeTV and an infrared controller to record HD media IF there was an HD video input device.

I'm still looking and feel there will be soon????

Marc

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
You can capture over the firewire port, but it's been a while since I've done it. and i've never used a scheduling software to do it. just to manually record some clips of a friend on TV (had recorded the show on my Comcast DVR), that i then dumped to DVD.
other than that, currently I don't know of anyway to capture a HD signal from an external box over component, DVI or HDMI.

Although it isn't HD resolution, you should be able to do what you want with s-video and currently available capture cards. it will still be a decent picture and in the 16x9 format, although letter boxed. i'm not too familiar with the mac hardware/software offerings.

I use mythtv (linux based) for watching stuff in the bedroom, plus it automatically dumps shows to my iphone for watching on the subway or wherever. and i can stream live TV over the wireless network to my laptop.

I just use a DVR from the cable company to record the HD stuff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.