HD reorganization question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by c23roo, Apr 13, 2009.

1. c23roo macrumors regular

So the more advice I seek, the more confused I get regarding my current quest to reorganize my HD setup and increase my storage and backup capability...

Current setup:
    Drive 1: 500 GB (Apps, almost 400 GB iPhoto library)
    Drive 2: 500 GB (Docs, iTunes library)
    Drive 3: 1 TB (Time Machine - nearly full)
    Drive 4: empty

So I want to add a 1.5 to the mix, and thinking of a setup like this:
    Drive 1: 1 TB (Apps, photos)
    Drive 2: 500 GB (Docs, tunes)
    Drive 3: 500 GB (woo hoo! extra space!)
    Drive 4: 1.5 TB (Time Machine)

Question:
    1. If I pop the 1.5 into the empty bay, can I then proceed as follows:
    - copy Time Machine HD to the new 1.5 TB, and
    - copy the old (500 GB apps/photos) Drive 1 to the old 1 TB (TM) disk
    or is there something I'm missing?

Quite simply, I would like to go from my current setup 500/500/1T and add a larger drive 500/500/1T/1.5T and would like to know how best to accomplish this.

I now wonder if it would just be easier to move my entire (almost 400GB) iPhoto library to the 1TB (after copying Time Machine to the new 1.5T)... or is there a more efficient way to maybe partition the drives that would make more sense.

Maybe it's just late and I'm fried, but hope someone can help. Sorry for a similar post elsewhere but I think I should have just started here...

Thanks for your insight -
    -c

2. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

Not a bump - new HD question!

So I think I've decided on a WD Velociraptor (300 GB) for my new boot drive, and going with an external 2 TB for backup. New questions:

First of all, is the Raptor compatible with my MacPro ('08 I think)? And how do I go about making it my new boot drive - I was thinking about partitioning it but have no idea a.) how to do this or b.) if it's worth it.

Secondly, I was going to have the one 500 as a backup boot disk; think I should just clone the new boot drive?

Third, how do I get the old Time Machine files to the new 2TB disk and continue to have TM backups go there?

Thanks for any help/advice...

-c

3. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I believe you have to get a specific model raptor (forgot the model number), one that is backplane ready. And it depends on what you do for it to be worth it. I enjoy the speed increase.

Secondly, you could maybe make a script to do a weekly clone of your drive.

Third, I'm not sure. Try dragging the content from one time machine hard drive to the new one? (You probably want to get more information and be sure before doing this).

4. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

Got home and had to verify - my MacPro is a 2008 (2 x 2.66 Dual Core Intel Xenon). Does anyone know which Velociraptor model would fit properly in my system? Or where to get this info?

5. boogieman macrumors regular

Get this model WD3000HLFS I have it in mine and love it.