hd replacement copy with ccc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nunes013, Apr 23, 2011.

1. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

I just want to make sure I'm doing this right before I mess up.

I bought a western digital Scorpio black 320 gb to replace dying hitachi.

If I use carbon copy cloner and clone a bootable copy of my hd to my external wd passport then install the hd and boot everything from the passport to the Scorpio will this work.

2. neenja macrumors 6502

might be easier to do a clean install on your new hd then use migration assistant to copy back over your files/settings.

easier and better that is. so... make carbon copy clone of your current hd onto your portable. put in new internal hd, do a clean install.

boot up into new internal hd, plug in portable, then use Migration Assistant to copy over your stuff. I believe also, upon installing, it will ask if you want to use Migration.

3. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

Thanks, that seems pretty easy. I saw people putting the d hd in an enclosure or getting this transfer dongle and I didnt want to spend more so I'm trying to use what I have even if it takes a little longer. Just want it done right lol. Thanks!!!!

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can do the above, or even just run a time machine backup on your external, then install the HD, boot from the disk, do a fresh install of OS X, then restore from time machine during setup. It will put your stuff back exactly as you had it.