HD replacement. Not booting properly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g^3, Aug 25, 2008.

1. g^3 macrumors member

Hi All,

I just replace the HD in my MacBook Pro. I used CCC to clone the drive then the iFixit to install it. When I try to start up the computer the HD isn't recognized. It only finds the HD when I book and hold down option and then I select the drive. How do I fix this so it boots directly to the drive without holding the option key.

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Did you test the cloned drive to see if it would boot before you exchanged drives?

I am not all that familiar with CCC, I used Super Duper and it booted right up.

3. g^3 thread starter macrumors member

I tested it and it booted from an external. I'm thinking it has something to do with the drive name or where it looks to boot...

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Boot into OS X and choose:
    [​IMG]

System Preferences --> Startup Disk

5. g^3 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I thought as well. The only option I have is "network startup". I wonder why the drive isn't showing up there.

Attached Files:

6. mark10197 macrumors member

I had a situation like this on a power book. i was using a 120 gb hd that i pulled from a pc and then I cloned it and it wouldn't boot. you need to make sure it is formatted to mac os x extended journal. My problem was even though it was cloned, it still had an fat partition. If you buy a hard drive from an electronics store, sometimes the preset is fat 32. just reformatt to os x extended journal. But make sure this is the problem first. go to disk utility and check.

7. g^3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunatly the drive is "Mac OS Extended Journaled". Would an archive and install help. I have the old drive in a usb enclosure, should I do a fresh install then migrate the info over.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Holy crap. I have never seen the Startup Disk pane without a real hard drive. You can boot from this hard drive, but it does not show up under Startup Disk pane???? When you initialized the drive, did you select the GUID partition table?

9. g^3 thread starter macrumors member

Maybe that's where I went wrong. Where do I select the GUID partition table?

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

In Disk Utility, select the drive (and not the partition, which is below and indented), then the Partition tab appears. Under this tab, click the Options button and select GUID and initialize as OS X journaled. Then format the drive and use CCC to clone your original drive.

11. g^3 thread starter macrumors member